Windows Server 2003 IFS Kit - runtime exception error

Hello everybody

I am using “Windows Server 2003 IFS Kit” installed on windows-2000 machine. If I use “CcMdlWriteabort”, the file system driver fails at load time. the system doesn;t boot at all and a blank screen appears with the exception displaying “could not find the entry point CcMdlWriteAbort”, and the similar error occurs when I use the method “ExInterlockedPopEntrySList”.
It will be great If somebody can point me on right direction? Thanks in advance.

Regards
K.Raju

CcMdlWriteAbort() & ExInterlockedPopEntrySList() don’t exist in Windows 2000. You should only be using these in binaries that you’re going to run on XP & later. This is documented in the IFS kit -

sm

-----Original Message-----
From: Krishnama Raju [mailto:xxxxx@inquesttechnologies.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 5:28 AM
To: Windows File Systems Devs Interest List
Subject: [ntfsd] Windows Server 2003 IFS Kit - runtime exception error

Hello everybody

I am using “Windows Server 2003 IFS Kit” installed on windows-2000 machine. If I use “CcMdlWriteabort”, the file system driver fails at load time. the system doesn;t boot at all and a blank screen appears with the exception displaying “could not find the entry point CcMdlWriteAbort”, and the similar error occurs when I use the method “ExInterlockedPopEntrySList”.
It will be great If somebody can point me on right direction? Thanks in advance.

Regards
K.Raju

Questions? First check the IFS FAQ at https://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?id=17

You are currently subscribed to ntfsd as: xxxxx@softek.fujitsu.com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to xxxxx@lists.osr.com

The CcmdlWriteAbort probably, but ExInterlockedPopEntrySlist exists since NT for sure - it is used by lookaside lists.
It is defined as:
#define Ex… ExpInterlocked…
though.

“McDowell, Steve” wrote:

CcMdlWriteAbort() & ExInterlockedPopEntrySList() don’t exist in Windows 2000. You should only be using these in binaries that you’re going to run on XP & later. This is documented in the IFS kit -

Kind regards, Dejan M. MVP for DDK
http://www.alfasp.com E-mail: xxxxx@alfasp.com
Alfa Transparent File Encryptor - Transparent file encryption services.
Alfa File Protector - File protection and hiding library for Win32 developers.
Alfa File Monitor - File monitoring library for Win32 developers.

You’re right, of course, that the function is supported. The issue is in the implementation.

The issue may be that you’re using XP build environment (headers & libraries) and then running the code on W2K. I know that I’ve done this and encountered exactly this problem. You need to ensure that you’re in a 2k build environment when you compile.

If you look in the header where ExInterlockedPopEntrySlist() is defined, you’ll see that the function declaration is #ifdef’d with ‘_WIN2K_COMPAT_SLIST_USAGE’ - note that if _WIN2K_COMPAT_SLIST_USAGE isn’t defined then the function becomes a macro which calls simply InterlockedPopEntrySlist(), which probably isn’t the right call for W2K.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 9:15 AM
To: Windows File Systems Devs Interest List
Subject: Re: [ntfsd] Windows Server 2003 IFS Kit - runtime exception
error

The CcmdlWriteAbort probably, but ExInterlockedPopEntrySlist exists since NT for sure - it is used by lookaside lists.
It is defined as:
#define Ex… ExpInterlocked…
though.

“McDowell, Steve” wrote:

Kind regards, Dejan M. MVP for DDK
http://www.alfasp.com E-mail: xxxxx@alfasp.com
Alfa Transparent File Encryptor - Transparent file encryption services.
Alfa File Protector - File protection and hiding library for Win32 developers.
Alfa File Monitor - File monitoring library for Win32 developers.

Questions? First check the IFS FAQ at https://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?id=17

You are currently subscribed to ntfsd as: xxxxx@softek.fujitsu.com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to xxxxx@lists.osr.com

>

If you look in the header where ExInterlockedPopEntrySlist() is defined, you’ll see that the function declaration is #ifdef’d with ‘_WIN2K_COMPAT_SLIST_USAGE’ - note that if _WIN2K_COMPAT_SLIST_USAGE isn’t defined then the function becomes a macro which calls simply InterlockedPopEntrySlist(), which probably isn’t the right call for W2K.

Just a small side-note: The differences between the implements of SLists
(and a few other interesting tidbits) have been documented in the DDK
release notes since the release of Windows XP.

It really does help to read those release notes :slight_smile:

Peter
OSR