Weird ...

I’m currently debugging a driver against Vista 32-bit. Anyway, every once in a while my driver will bugcheck, and then I will fix my problem and place the updated driver on the machine.

Anyway, my question is about updating my driver and I’m just curious if anybody else has run into this and why it is happening…

If my driver bugchecks, I have enough time after the next reboot to delete my driver from the drivers folder and then reboot the machine. The weird stuff occurs on the next reboot. My driver still gets loaded! Anyway, I thought I was crazy (and I’ve checked this I don’t know how many times) but I go to delete my driver again and it’s still not there. If I reboot my machine again, then my driver is finally “gone”, and it doesn’t get loaded.

So in short, I have to reboot the machine twice to successfully remove my driver.

Not that this is really hindering my development, it’s just a pain. Can anybody explain why this is happening?

My target machine is a dell optiplex 755.

Thanks,
– Jim

I’m a little confused, probably because I don’t know a whole lot about installation, but here it is anyway, as ntdev seems to be all but dead for whatever reason today.

What kind of driver/device is this?

How did you install it in the first place?

How are you replacing it? Just deleting and overwriting?

Are you doing something like trying to replace on the inbox drivers? Perhaps using the serial sample or something like that?

mm

xxxxx@ngc.com wrote:

If my driver bugchecks, I have enough time after the next reboot to delete my driver from the drivers folder and then reboot the machine. The weird stuff occurs on the next reboot. My driver still gets loaded! Anyway, I thought I was crazy (and I’ve checked this I don’t know how many times) but I go to delete my driver again and it’s still not there. If I reboot my machine again, then my driver is finally “gone”, and it doesn’t get loaded.

Do you do your delete using Explorer, or from a command line? How do
you do the reboot? If you reboot using the .reboot command from the
kernel debugger, it’s possible that the disk caches don’t get flushed.

How do you know your driver got loaded? WinDbg?

So in short, I have to reboot the machine twice to successfully remove my driver.

Not that this is really hindering my development, it’s just a pain. Can anybody explain why this is happening?

If you are using one of the DIFx approaches to installation (including
DPInst), then your entire driver package is getting copied into the
Driver Store, in system32\DriverStore. The next time a new instance of
your device is detected, your driver will be restored from the DriverStore.

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

It sounds like it’s part of the driver cache which I didn’t think would happen without the hallowed blessings of WHQL. Have you tried .files?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, 04 June, 2009 04:10 PM
To: Windows System Software Devs Interest List
Subject: [ntdev] Weird …

I’m currently debugging a driver against Vista 32-bit. Anyway, every once in a while my driver will bugcheck, and then I will fix my problem and place the updated driver on the machine.

Anyway, my question is about updating my driver and I’m just curious if anybody else has run into this and why it is happening…

Thanks,
– Jim

NTDEV is sponsored by OSR

For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
http://www.osr.com/seminars

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer

That should have been .kdfiles.

Gary

Sent: Thursday, 04 June, 2009 05:50 PM
Subject: RE: [ntdev] Weird …

It sounds like it’s part of the driver cache which I didn’t think would happen without the hallowed blessings of WHQL. Have you tried .files?

Sent: Thursday, 04 June, 2009 04:10 PM
Subject: [ntdev] Weird …

>

I’m currently debugging a driver against Vista 32-bit. Anyway, every
once in
a while my driver will bugcheck, and then I will fix my problem and
place the
updated driver on the machine.

Anyway, my question is about updating my driver and I’m just curious
if
anybody else has run into this and why it is happening…

If my driver bugchecks, I have enough time after the next reboot to
delete my
driver from the drivers folder and then reboot the machine. The weird
stuff
occurs on the next reboot. My driver still gets loaded! Anyway, I
thought I
was crazy (and I’ve checked this I don’t know how many times) but I go
to
delete my driver again and it’s still not there. If I reboot my
machine
again, then my driver is finally “gone”, and it doesn’t get loaded.

So in short, I have to reboot the machine twice to successfully remove
my
driver.

Not that this is really hindering my development, it’s just a pain.
Can
anybody explain why this is happening?

I have see this with a filesystem that needs a chkdsk.

How are you updating the driver? How are you rebooting?

James

Wow,

This list is great. Fortunately/Unfortunately, I now have everything working, and nothing appears to be crashing. However, I forgot to mention that this would occur more often when my driver didn’t crash, but it wasn’t doing what I wanted so I had to update it.

I remember almost always deleting my driver from the command line, but I’m pretty sure I tried explorer too.

I could tell that my driver got reloaded again via WinDbg. My print messages appeared in the output window.

Here’s something I do remember that may be interesting, it seemed to occur more frequently if I did a restart instead of a reboot. This would occur if my driver didn’t bugcheck, but I wasn’t doing something correctly and had to change something. I would delete my driver (usually via command line but sometimes via explorer), reboot the system, and then have to reboot the system again.

Thanks.
– Jim