vgasave

Hi,
I installed a test graphics miniport driver(Not WDDM) on Vista 32 and graphic driver seems to work fine for me, I was able to get calls to my driver and everything seems to work fine. But i see that sleep and hibernate are disabled in my machine. I typed in “powercfg -a” and it says that “One are more legacy driver installed which prevent this standby state:” and I see “VgaSave” below that.

I am new to graphic drivers, so can anybody tell me what could be the issue here.

One more thing i observed is I was deleted VGA.SYS and booted the machine. I was able to get sleep and hibernate with the same test driver.

Can anybody tell me Why this happens and how should I make sure that it works without deleting VGAS files.

Regards,
Sandeep

What kinds of your driver? mirror? virtual display driver or others?
Is it WDDM of your real display driver?

Allen

xxxxx@yahoo.com wrote:

I installed a test graphics miniport driver(Not WDDM) on Vista 32 and graphic driver seems to work fine for me, I was able to get calls to my driver and everything seems to work fine. But i see that sleep and hibernate are disabled in my machine. I typed in “powercfg -a” and it says that “One are more legacy driver installed which prevent this standby state:” and I see “VgaSave” below that.

I am new to graphic drivers, so can anybody tell me what could be the issue here.

Did you write a display driver as well as a miniport, or are you relying
on vgasave?

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

VgaSave miniport never had power management support. So, you cannot standby or hibernate the freshly installed Windows machine until you will install the proper video chip drivers.

Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP
xxxxx@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

wrote in message news:xxxxx@ntdev…
> Hi,
> I installed a test graphics miniport driver(Not WDDM) on Vista 32 and graphic driver seems to work fine for me, I was able to get calls to my driver and everything seems to work fine. But i see that sleep and hibernate are disabled in my machine. I typed in “powercfg -a” and it says that “One are more legacy driver installed which prevent this standby state:” and I see “VgaSave” below that.
>
> I am new to graphic drivers, so can anybody tell me what could be the issue here.
>
> One more thing i observed is I was deleted VGA.SYS and booted the machine. I was able to get sleep and hibernate with the same test driver.
>
> Can anybody tell me Why this happens and how should I make sure that it works without deleting VGAS files.
>
> Regards,
> Sandeep
>

Hi Alan and Tim,
First thing, my miniport driver is a VBE driver, which uses Video bios calls, This works well in WinXP 32 bit, I am relaying on display driver, for which i dont have source and is claimed to be working well. As I said before, everything works well, except sleep and hibernate, and if i delete vga.sys from system, even sleep and hibernate work with same miniport and diaplay driver.

xxxxx@yahoo.com wrote:

First thing, my miniport driver is a VBE driver, which uses Video bios calls, This works well in WinXP 32 bit, I am relaying on display driver, for which i dont have source and is claimed to be working well.

The question was WHICH display driver? Is it a display driver that is
NOT one of the in-box drivers? If you don’t specify a display driver
for your miniport, or specify it incorrectly, you’re going to fall back
to one of the stock VGA drivers, resulting in the behavior you see.

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the response, I am NOT using in-box display driver, I think the problem is that Vista is not loading this display driver properly.
I get the message in setupapi.dev.log

"Drp target file C:\Windows\System32\TestDisp.dll " is owned by TI flq {SPFILENOTIFY_ENDCOPY}
{SPFILENOTIFY_ENDCOPY}

And my inf looks like this, am I missing anything here?

[Version]
Signature=“$Windows NT$”
Provider=%mydr%
ClassGUID={4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Class=Display
DriverVer=11/03/2008, 1.00.00.0008

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir = 11
TestMini.Miniport = 12 ; drivers
TestMini.Display = 11 ; system32

;
; Driver information
;

[Manufacturer]
%mydrv% = mydrv.Mfg

[mydrv.Mfg]
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% = TestMini, NOPNP
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% - Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) = TestMini, PCI\CC_0300
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% - Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (XGA) = TestMini, PCI\CC_0301
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% - Standard PCI Graphics Adapter = TestMini, PCI\CC_0380
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% - Standard Graphics Adapter (VGA) = TestMini, *PNP0900
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% - VGA = TestMini, *PNP0917
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% - SVGA = TestMini, NOPNP
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% (ATI Rage 128PRO 4x pri) = TestMini, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5046
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% (ATI RV250 pri) = TestMini, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4966&SUBSYS_4F721002
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% (ATI RV250 sec) = TestMini, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4963&SUBSYS_4F731002
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% (Intel D845G) = TestMini, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2562&SUBSYS_52478086

;
; General installation section
;

[TestMini]
AddReg=TestMini.AddReg
CopyFiles=TestMini.Miniport, TestMini.Display

[TestMini.AddReg]

;
; File sections
;

[TestMini.Miniport]
TestMini.sys

[TestMini.Display]
TestDisp.dll

;
; Service Installation
;

[TestMini.Services]
AddService = TestMini, 0x00000002 , TestMini_Service_Inst, TestMini_EventLog_Inst

[TestMini_Service_Inst]
DisplayName = %TestMini.SvcDesc%
ServiceType = 1 ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
StartType = 1 ; SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
ErrorControl = 0 ; SERVICE_ERROR_IGNORE
LoadOrderGroup = Video
ServiceBinary = %12%\TestMini.sys

[TestMini_EventLog_Inst]
AddReg = TestMini_EventLog_AddReg

[TestMini_EventLog_AddReg]
HKR,EventMessageFile,0x00020000,“%SystemRoot%\System32\IoLogMsg.dll;%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\TestMini.sys”
HKR,TypesSupported,0x00010001,7

;
; Software Installation
;

[TestMini.SoftwareSettings]
AddReg = TestMini_SoftwareDeviceSettings

[TestMini_SoftwareDeviceSettings]
HKR, InstalledDisplayDrivers, %REG_MULTI_SZ%, TestDisp
HKR, VgaCompatible, %REG_DWORD%, 0

;
; Source file information
;

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1 = %DiskId1%,“”

[SourceDisksFiles]
; Files for disk mydrv Corp Installation Disk #1 (Display)
TestMini.sys = 1,
TestDisp.dll = 1

[Strings]

;
; Non-Localizable Strings
;

REG_SZ = 0x00000000
REG_MULTI_SZ = 0x00010000
REG_EXPAND_SZ = 0x00020000
REG_BINARY = 0x00000001
REG_DWORD = 0x00010001
SERVICEROOT = “System\CurrentControlSet\Services”

;
; Localizable Strings
;

mydrv.DeviceDesc0 = “My Miniport”
DiskId1 = “mydrv Installation Disk (Display)”
mydrv = "mydrv "
TestMini.SvcDesc=“My Miniport”

xxxxx@yahoo.com wrote:

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the response, I am NOT using in-box display driver, I think the problem is that Vista is not loading this display driver properly.
I get the message in setupapi.dev.log

"Drp target file C:\Windows\System32\TestDisp.dll " is owned by TI flq {SPFILENOTIFY_ENDCOPY}
{SPFILENOTIFY_ENDCOPY}

And my inf looks like this, am I missing anything here?

[mydrv.Mfg]
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% = TestMini, NOPNP
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% - Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) = TestMini, PCI\CC_0300
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% - Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (XGA) = TestMini, PCI\CC_0301
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% - Standard PCI Graphics Adapter = TestMini, PCI\CC_0380
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% - Standard Graphics Adapter (VGA) = TestMini, *PNP0900
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% - VGA = TestMini, *PNP0917
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% - SVGA = TestMini, NOPNP
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% (ATI Rage 128PRO 4x pri) = TestMini, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5046
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% (ATI RV250 pri) = TestMini, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4966&SUBSYS_4F721002
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% (ATI RV250 sec) = TestMini, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4963&SUBSYS_4F731002
%mydrv.DeviceDesc0% (Intel D845G) = TestMini, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2562&SUBSYS_52478086

If this is not a VGA, then why are you offering to handle all the
standard VGA devices? This INF says “I hereby offer to handle ALL
display devices”, including the stock VGA device that handles text modes.

Yes i want to handle all display devices, that is the intension