RE: Help. is there a way to tell a socket connetion to a server is th rough WAN or LAN (modem, A

Bi,

Through IOCTL_NDIS_QUERY_GLOBAL_STATS or WMI (or via NdisRequest if you’re a protocol driver bound to the miniport), you could query the miniport for OID_GEN_PHYSICAL_MEDIUM and/or OID_GEN_MEDIA_IN_USE.

Bryan S. Burgin
xxxxx@microsoft.com
?
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 2:22 PM
To: NT Developers Interest List
Subject: [ntdev] Help. is there a way to tell a socket connetion to a server is th rough WAN or LAN (modem, ADSL, Cable modem)?

Hi,
?
Is there a way to tell a socket connetion to a server is through WAN or LAN (modem, ADSL, Cable modem) using?TCP/IP? The most problematic thing I see is that if a PC uses external?ADSL or cable modem. Since in this case the PC typically connect to cable or ADSL?modem through an eithernet. I am not sure if hop count can be used to tell the difference between an?Corpration LAN and WAN. Also, what about shared?internet connection?through NAT.?Is there any other thing that can be used to?tell the difference?
?
Thanks.
?
Bi

You are currently subscribed to ntdev as: xxxxx@microsoft.com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to %%email.unsub%%

RE: [ntdev] Re: I am going to write a bookTry GetBestInterface (name?) and then its stats.

----- Original Message -----
To: NT Developers Interest List
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 1:21 AM
Subject: [ntdev] Help. is there a way to tell a socket connetion to a server is th rough WAN or LAN (modem, ADSL, Cable modem)?

Hi,

Is there a way to tell a socket connetion to a server is through WAN or LAN (modem, ADSL, Cable modem) using TCP/IP? The most problematic thing I see is that if a PC uses external ADSL or cable modem. Since in this case the PC typically connect to cable or ADSL modem through an eithernet. I am not sure if hop count can be used to tell the difference between an Corpration LAN and WAN. Also, what about shared internet connection through NAT. Is there any other thing that can be used to tell the difference?

Thanks.

Bi

You are currently subscribed to ntdev as: xxxxx@storagecraft.com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to %%email.unsub%%