R: RE: Regarding Windows CE

RE: [ntdev] Regarding Windows CEWhy not using the Windows CE redirector ?

Excerpts from Windows CE 3.0 networking documentation:

a… CIFS redirector. Windows CE supports the CIFS redirector for managing network connections and accessing remote file systems and printers. The CIFS protocol is referred to also as the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol.
b… Windows CE supports the CIFS redirector for accessing remote file systems and remote printers. The CIFS Protocol is also referred to as the Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol. The redirector’s purpose is twofold: to reestablish a disrupted connection and to handle remote file system requests by packaging them and sending them to the target host for processing. The target host returns results to the computer making the request.

The Windows CE redirector supports connections to Windows-based desktop platforms, or servers compliant with the Windows NT LM 0.12 dialect of the Common Internet File System (CIFS) Specification. Applications access network drives either by way of WNet or a standard file system API with UNC paths.

Mr Recco buon anno a lei,
nei prossimi giorni le invier? il mo profilo professionale che risiede su un sistema al quale attualmente non riesco ad accedere.

Paolo
-----Messaggio Originale-----
Da: Giampiero Recco
A: NT Developers Interest List
Data invio: venerd? 5 gennaio 2001 13.37
Oggetto: [ntdev] RE: Regarding Windows CE

Hi all,

I’m interested in developing a network file system driver for windows CE.
Is this possible? or the solution is to export a dedicated api
directly to the application (I hope not).

My redirector doesn’t need to access hardware, but it need to access
the network trasport layer (TCP-IP) at driver level.
Do you think that I will have to use the embedded tools or I have to buy
the Platform Builder?
Does anybody know about resources or refernces about filesystems and WinCE?
Has anybody already tryed to port a FSD to WinCE?

Many thanks for your help!
Giampiero Recco

-----Original Message-----
From: xxxxx@lists.osr.com [mailto:xxxxx@lists.osr.com]On Behalf Of Turner, Joe
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 9:53 PM
To: NT Developers Interest List
Subject: [ntdev] RE: Regarding Windows CE

My comments below

-----Original Message-----
> From: Ajitabh Prakash [mailto:xxxxx@future.futsoft.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 10:42 PM
> To: NT Developers Interest List
> Subject: [ntdev] Regarding Windows CE
>
>
> hi guys,
> I am starting a nw project on Windows CE.I would
> like to know the following :
>
> 1> How is the Driver development Environment (DDK/SDK/MSVC++)
> of Windows CE different from windows NT??

Completely different. I haven’t installed embedded Studio yet, because I was moved off of NT/CE driver projects and onto Solaris (bleh.). Also, the specific answer depends on your hardware. ARM? NEC? x86? The project I worked on was a PC104/x86 embedded solution. The vendor sold their own low-level HAL coupled with the Microsoft platform builder. Expensive. NT DDK is now free. Platform builder was ~$1k.

2> If it’s different …do we have to install SDK first then
> DDK and then MSVC++ or the sequence is different or it does
> not matter at all.

If you intend to install the platform builder, if my memory is correct, you will need Visual Studio 6.0 (not 5.0), and you must have Administrator privledges to compile, else you will get some strange build errors.

3> where can i get SDK and DDK for windows CE??
> 4> can we use same MSVC++ for windows CE also.

The new Embedded Studio for Visual C++ 6.0 is available from Microsoft for free. Platform builder is You can order the CD from them and pay shipping.

You can get the embedded Studio here: http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/developer/default.asp and download some of the SDKs. I’m not sure if the embedded studio will allow you to develop device drivers.

Previously, microsoft CE development was spit into two areas: 1) Visual CE Tools add on for application development, and 2) platform builder. You payed heavily for the right to develop drivers. I’m not sure how it is now.

Good luck.

Thanx
> Ajitabh
>
> —
> You are currently subscribed to ntdev as: Zeus@ti.com
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-ntdev-$subst(‘Recip.MemberIDChar’)@lists.osr.com
>

You are currently subscribed to ntdev as: xxxxx@beeweeb.com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-ntdev-$subst(‘Recip.MemberIDChar’)@lists.osr.com

You are currently subscribed to ntdev as: xxxxx@tin.it
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-ntdev-$subst(‘Recip.MemberIDChar’)@lists.osr.com

You are currently subscribed to ntdev as: $subst(‘Recip.EmailAddr’)