PNP/Power request flow in hibernation and crash dump case

We have Storport/Miniport driver and I want to understand the PNP/POWER IRP flow in case of Hibernation and Crash dump case.
How the IRP send by PNP manager flows through the stack?

Will the PNP manager send the PNP/Power request through class driver to Miniport FDO or depending on boot LUN presence PNP manager will send directly to the PNP/Power request directly to miniport FDO.

How can I trace this flow ?

Why do you think any power IRPs are sent in crash dump case?

Maxim S. Shatskih
Microsoft MVP on File System And Storage
xxxxx@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

wrote in message news:xxxxx@ntdev…
> We have Storport/Miniport driver and I want to understand the PNP/POWER IRP flow in case of Hibernation and Crash dump case.
> How the IRP send by PNP manager flows through the stack?
>
> Will the PNP manager send the PNP/Power request through class driver to Miniport FDO or depending on boot LUN presence PNP manager will send directly to the PNP/Power request directly to miniport FDO.
>
> How can I trace this flow ?
>

Yes, power IRP are not send in crash dump case, but will be send in hibernation case.
I want to know in either of the case how can I trace all those IRP on x64 system and What will be the flow in case of Class, Storport/Miniport

How 'bout writing a couple of quick filter drivers?

Peter
OSR
@OSRDrivers

From Vista up, there is a documented framework of filtering crash dump/hiber cases.

I think that, if you will find TrueCrypt source, they implement it.

Pre-Vista it required a Ps .SYS file load notifier, which would hook the DriverEntry of the new module (dump/hiber instance of the driver). Vista+ - no more hooks.

Maxim S. Shatskih
Microsoft MVP on File System And Storage
xxxxx@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

wrote in message news:xxxxx@ntdev…
> Yes, power IRP are not send in crash dump case, but will be send in hibernation case.
> I want to know in either of the case how can I trace all those IRP on x64 system and What will be the flow in case of Class, Storport/Miniport
>