No more Vhidmini?

I have upgraded my WDK version to 7600 (since I see Windows 7 support over the horizon) and discovered to my dismay that Vhidmini, on which my project is based, is no longer included in the WDK. Does anyone know if that is an oversight? Or did it depend on something that’s no longer there?

My real reason for asking is that its .inf file included references to HIDClass.sys, HIDParse.sys, and Hid.dll. I never understood their purposes, nor where they were found. ChkInf doesn’t like having them referenced in the .inf. And now that I’ve rebuilt under 7600 and cleaned up my .inf file, my package doesn’t work. It seems to install without whining; it just doesn’t appear to be running. I haven’t fired up WinDbg to find out why yet; I was hoping something in the packaging would be the answer.

xxxxx@novint.com wrote:

My real reason for asking is that its .inf file included references to HIDClass.sys, HIDParse.sys, and Hid.dll. I never understood their purposes, nor where they were found.

Those are standard system drivers and DLLs. If you need those for your
device, you can always do Needs/Includes to bring them in:
Include=input.inf
Needs=HID_Inst.NT

ChkInf doesn’t like having them referenced in the .inf. And now that I’ve rebuilt under 7600 and cleaned up my .inf file, my package doesn’t work. It seems to install without whining; it just doesn’t appear to be running. I haven’t fired up WinDbg to find out why yet; I was hoping something in the packaging would be the answer.

I am dubious.

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.