MSB4044: The "ValidateNTTargetVersion" task was not given a value for the required parameter

Hi,
after moving from Windows10/VS2019+WDK10 to Windows 11/VS2022+WDK11 (on a clean machine) my simple WinUSB .inf stamping/signing/.cat creation .vcxproj now surprises me with:
MSB4044: The “ValidateNTTargetVersion” task was not given a value for the required parameter

While this sounds like a little poem, no context is given, nor can’t be requested by any of the verbose options. ValidateNTTargetVersion appears on some googled pages but nothing that hints to the issue I am facing.

Would you happen to have an idea what to look for or check or try?

Thanks a lot,
Hagen.

Let me find the right people for this

What is the WDK version on your new system, also can you please verify you have the matching SDK version installed as well.

Thanks prashantchahar,
Both SDK and WDK are current latest (Windows 11 SDK/WDK 10.0.22621.0). - now while I look at it looks strange! Windows 11 SDK/WDK both have a 10. version number?!

The marketing version number (“Windows 11”) is almost always different from the resource version number. Windows 7 reported as 6.1.7600. Windows 8 was 6.2.9200, Windows 8.1 was 6.3.9200.

They happened to bump to 10.0.10240 for Windows 10, but that’s the only time since about 1996 that they matched up.

1 Like