Mouse Configuration Descriptor Problem

Dear,

I am a student of Masters in Software Engineering at COMSATS institute of IT Islamabad Pakistan.
I am experimenting with USB Mouse as a Simple USB device not as a HID Device. I am using a sample driver named BULKUSB.sys in the DDK for Windows 2000. After installing it for theUSB Mouse and getting the configuration descriptor from user mode application, the descriptor length returned is 34. Now this configuration descriptor has its length equal 9 bytes. It says that it supports one interface having length 9 bytes with one endpoint having length 7 bytes.
The total length of configuration is destributed as follows:
configuration descriptor = 9
interface descriptor = 9
after this there is no descriptor in 9 bytes, then
endpoint descriptor = 7

Now can it be so that some data in configuration descriptor may be nothing?
please tell me that if it can be so.

regards

m.arfan nazir

Do you Yahoo!?
New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB free storage!

Did you skip over an empty descriptor header? The missing 2 bytes could a descriptor header (ie a UCHAR bLength and UCHAR bDescriptorType). In the end, do the missing 2 bytes cause you any harm or are you just curious?

From: xxxxx@lists.osr.com [mailto:xxxxx@lists.osr.com] On Behalf Of arfan nazir
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 6:30 AM
To: Windows System Software Devs Interest List
Subject: [ntdev] Mouse Configuration Descriptor Problem

Dear,
?
I am a student of Masters in Software Engineering at COMSATS institute of IT Islamabad Pakistan.
I am?experimenting with USB Mouse as a Simple USB device not as?a HID Device. I am using a sample driver named BULKUSB.sys in the DDK for Windows 2000. After installing it for theUSB Mouse and?getting the configuration descriptor from user mode?application, the descriptor length returned is 34. Now this configuration descriptor has its length equal 9 bytes. It says that it supports one interface having length 9 bytes?with one endpoint having length 7 bytes.
The?total length of?configuration is destributed as follows:
configuration descriptor = 9
interface descriptor?? =? 9
after this there is no descriptor?in 9 bytes, then
endpoint descriptor? = 7
?
Now?can it be so that some data in configuration descriptor may be nothing?
please tell me that?if it can be so.
?
regards
?
m.arfan nazir???

Do you Yahoo!?
New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB free storage! — Questions? First check the Kernel Driver FAQ at http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?id=256 You are currently subscribed to ntdev as: xxxxx@windows.microsoft.com To unsubscribe send a blank email to xxxxx@lists.osr.com