Installing Filter Driver through Independent Inf File

Hi all,

Probably I think my last question lacks clarity of what i am trying to come up with… So with due excuse i am starting this thread, please bear with me…

I am trying to install Filter driver over virtual serial port. i want to make this filter device specific, upper filter driver… I came to know from the forumn that with independent Filter INF i can install my filter driver without modifying the vendor provided Inf file… not sure for this whether i need an coinstaller to add any registry entry for the function driver…

I am here by sharing my inf file and when i install the driver through this inf file,
a new com port is created and am seeing my filter driver under port driver category in
device management. Looking forward for your suggestion…

-Thanks and regards
Narahari

[Version]
Signature=“$CHICAGO$”
Class=PORTS
ClassGuid={4D36E978-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
DriverVer=01/12/2008,1.0.0.1
Provider=%MFGNAME%
CatalogFile.NT=USA19H2kp.cat

[Manufacturer]
%MFGNAME%=DeviceList

[SourceDisksNames]
1 = %INSTDISK%,“”

[SourceDisksFiles]
vspDevUpr.sys = 1,

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=12

[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, {4D36E978-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\vspDevUpr

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Windows 2000 Sections
[DriverInstall.NT]
;=============== Get the standard stuff from Toaster.inf==============
Include =19hp.inf
Needs=USA19HPORT.NT
CopyFiles=DriverInstall.NT.CopyFiles
AddReg=DriverInstall.NT.HW.AddReg

[DriverInstall.NT.CopyFiles]
vspDevUpr.sys

;
; Service installation
;
[DriverInstall.NT.Services]
AddService = vspDevUpr,vspDevUprService.AddService
Include=19hp.inf
Needs=USA19HPORT.Install.NT.Services

[DriverInstall.NT.HW.AddReg]
HKR,“UpperFilters”,0x00010000,“vspDevUpr”

[vspDevUprService.AddService]
ServiceType=1 ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
StartType=3 ; SERVICE_DEMAND_START
ErrorControl=1 ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL
ServiceBinary=%12%\vspDevUpr.sys
LoadOrderGroup = PNP Filter

; String Definitions

[Strings]
MFGNAME=“_ _ "
INSTDISK="
_ _ Installation Disc”
DESCRIPTION=“vspDevUpr Driver”
FRIENDLYNAME=“vspDevUpr Driver”

Hi Narahari,
it seems you’re working on the same topic that will cause a major headache to me :wink: Sorry, I can’t help you with the INF file, but I would be very glad if we can get in contact about writing an device specific upperclass filter driver. This is my first attempt of writing a driver and your filter driver seems to match exactly what I’m going to do. Maybe you could send me a sample or template of what you did? This would make my life more easy :wink:
Feel free to email me: finck at device.de
Thanks in advance

Narahari,

Your INF file suffers from a couple of issues.

Firstly, the [DriverInstall.NT.HW.AddReg] needs to be referenced from the [DriverInstall.NT.hw] section rather than from the [DriverInstall.NT]. The HKR Registry key is wrong otherwise.

Secondly, and most importantly, the “Include” and “Needs” directives of yours seem to point to the proprietary INF file / sections. That’s a violation of WHQL guidelines and will trigger a ChkInf failure at the DTM time. These directives must be used with system-supplied INFs only:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms794553.aspx

It effectively means that you may use an INF to install a filter driver over a an inbox driver only. You must use a programmatic install for all drivers not shipping with Windows. It makes some sense when you think of it: there is no way to prevent INF file name conflicts otherwise. The first issue is a moot point therefore - what you’re trying to do is illegal anyway.

Hope it helps,

Ilya Faenson
Rockville MD USA