Installation of USB Video Lower Filter

Hi,

I want to install a USB video lower filter. There is already a lower filter ‘MSHUSBVideo’ for the Microsoft Lifecam installed in the system. From this forum, I got the steps to install a lower filter as follows

1. Copy binary into \Windows\System32\Drivers

2. Run: sc create yourservicename type= kernel start= demand binPath= system32\drivers\yourbinary.sys

3. Install that service as a lower filter for the device ( via the registry)

• Find the entry in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB, in the subkey that matches the camera’s VID and PID.

• Add a new entry called LowerFilters of type REG_MULTI_SZ, and enter the created service name.

• Plug in the device.

I followed the exact same steps and it worked perfect for a machine. Surprisingly, when I tried to install the lower filter in another machine, the video driver could not load. I checked the Device Status from Device Manager, it says ‘Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware (Code 37)’. I am trying for more than a day. Can you please give me a clue why the lower filter installs in one machine and will not install in another machine?

Thanks in advance!

xxxxx@gmail.com wrote:

I followed the exact same steps and it worked perfect for a machine. Surprisingly, when I tried to install the lower filter in another machine, the video driver could not load. I checked the Device Status from Device Manager, it says ‘Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware (Code 37)’. I am trying for more than a day. Can you please give me a clue why the lower filter installs in one machine and will not install in another machine?

There are many possibilities. Did you try to copy a 32-bit driver
binary onto a 64-bit machine? Are the operating system versions
different? Are you relying on kernel APIs that aren’t present in an
older system? Is it USB 2 vs USB 3?

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Did you try to copy a 32-bit driver binary onto a 64-bit machine?

> Both the machines are 32 bit

Are the operating system versions different?

> Both the machines run Windows 7

Are you relying on kernel APIs that aren’t present in an older system?

> I actually tried in 2 other machines. One was configured earlier but another one is newly configured with Windows 7. I am trying to load a basic filter driver that just intercepts the USB Isochronous transfers.

Is it USB 2 vs USB 3?

>It is USB 2