Existence of multiple vendor drivers for the same PCI Device ID?

Hi All,

I have a very basic question for the definition of “Device Driver”? Is it ok
to have Multiple Device Drivers for the same PCI Device ID?

Also now a days most of the storage Vendors are having multiple customers
for different OEM Vendors and as such they are giving the same PCI Device ID
and getting the different drivers from the different vendors.

My Question is why are they deviating from the basic definition of a “Device
Driver”? Can’t Microsoft WHQL certification fail if there are multiple
instances of device drivers for the same PCI Device ID?

Even if this is possible how is it done in the driver to overtake the drives
or targets attached to the inbox driver as inbox driver enumerates the
targets before installation of some other vendor drivers during installation
time?

Thanks,
-Kash

Typically vendors who create a generic chip and then let others rebrand it have a 5 part PCI ID, the 5th part (subsys IIRC) is different per brand

d

From: xxxxx@lists.osr.com [mailto:xxxxx@lists.osr.com] On Behalf Of Usb Protocol
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:37 PM
To: Windows System Software Devs Interest List
Subject: [ntdev] Existence of multiple vendor drivers for the same PCI Device ID?

Hi All,

I have a very basic question for the definition of “Device Driver”? Is it ok to have Multiple Device Drivers for the same PCI Device ID?

Also now a days most of the storage Vendors are having multiple customers for different OEM Vendors and as such they are giving the same PCI Device ID and getting the different drivers from the different vendors.

My Question is why are they deviating from the basic definition of a “Device Driver”? Can’t Microsoft WHQL certification fail if there are multiple instances of device drivers for the same PCI Device ID?

Even if this is possible how is it done in the driver to overtake the drives or targets attached to the inbox driver as inbox driver enumerates the targets before installation of some other vendor drivers during installation time?

Thanks,
-Kash
— NTDEV is sponsored by OSR For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit: http://www.osr.com/seminars To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer