Device Tree and Windows 8

Hello guys, I want to see driver stack on my computer for USB 3.0, but devicetree tool don’t show pnp-relations!
DeviceTree don’t support Windows 8?
What I can do to solve my problem?

x86, x64, or ARM?

I’d be very surprised to hear it does not work on Win8 x86…

Peter
OSR

Windows 8 (x64)

Thanks for the info. We’ll look at it. Expect this to take weeks or months, not hours or days. We’re rather busy these days, and by necessity maintenance of free utilities is not high on our list.

Peter
OSR

> Thanks for the info. We’ll look at it. Expect this to take weeks or
> months, not hours or days. We’re rather busy these days, and by
> necessity maintenance of free utilities is not high on our list.

So, why not open source these binary-only freeware utilities?

Let the Windows open source developer community help contribute with
these vital tool projects. Give MVPs another opportunity to showcase
their skills, by improving these tools.

Well… we HAVE considered it.

The main reason that we don’t do this is that none these diagnostic tools demonstrates “best practices.” In fact, they often do downright ugly things that are either unsupported or explicitly forbidden or both. And at least one of the utilities uses what are basically malware techniques to achieve its goals.

That’s why any such tools pop warning dialogs that say “This is a test utility. Do not run this on a production system.”

Then there’s the whole issue of getting the tool signed (the tools typically embed a driver that’s dynamically loaded).

Soooo… while the tools themselves are helpful, I think that due to the potential for misuse/misunderstanding, it’s best if we kept them closed source.

Peter
OSR