Debugging issue to watch variable values

Hello everyone,

Sometimes in x64 release code (optimized to full level), even if we defined some global data, variables or member variables for some data structures, we can not see the actual value in debugger. The related error message is – “Error: expression cannot be evaluated”.

I think it is because of x64 code optimization to remove some variables or changed code execution path?

Any ways to “watch” such variables? Currently I am just looking at the asembly code to find what the actual execution is. For example, in source code I pass variable foo to function SetValue, but since in debugger I can not watch such variable foo, then I go to assembly code to watch what values are passed to function SetValue through register or stack.

Any better ideas to debug such x64 optimized code? Is it a common issue in debugging x64 release code?

thanks in advance,
George

This is because PDB does not allow reliable tracking of variables that get cached in registers.

You should be analyzing the code manually in this case.

Local variable support is only reliable when you are doing source line stepping in a non-optimized debug build.

• S

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 05:09
To: Kernel Debugging Interest List
Subject: [windbg] Debugging issue to watch variable values

Hello everyone,

Sometimes in x64 release code (optimized to full level), even if we defined some global data, variables or member variables for some data structures, we can not see the actual value in debugger. The related error message is – “Error: expression cannot be evaluated”.

I think it is because of x64 code optimization to remove some variables or changed code execution path?

Any ways to “watch” such variables? Currently I am just looking at the asembly code to find what the actual execution is. For example, in source code I pass variable foo to function SetValue, but since in debugger I can not watch such variable foo, then I go to assembly code to watch what values are passed to function SetValue through register or stack.

Any better ideas to debug such x64 optimized code? Is it a common issue in debugging x64 release code?

thanks in advance,
George

You are currently subscribed to windbg as: xxxxx@valhallalegends.com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to xxxxx@lists.osr.com

If you have no option but to debug release build ( where optimizations are
on ), best thing to look at web to find how the registers are being used to
pass the variables instead of stack. IIRC, there are some good and precise
documents in the web abou it. Once you have that handy it should be bit
easier to debug release code ( by looking at the registers’ value being
changed …

-pro

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 3:08 AM, Lin George wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
>
> 1.
>
> Sometimes in x64 release code (optimized to full level), even if we defined
> some global data, variables or member variables for some data structures, we
> can not see the actual value in debugger. The related error message is –
> “Error: expression cannot be evaluated”.
>
> I think it is because of x64 code optimization to remove some variables or
> changed code execution path?
>
> 2.
>
> Any ways to “watch” such variables? Currently I am just looking at the
> asembly code to find what the actual execution is. For example, in source
> code I pass variable foo to function SetValue, but since in debugger I can
> not watch such variable foo, then I go to assembly code to watch what values
> are passed to function SetValue through register or stack.
>
> Any better ideas to debug such x64 optimized code? Is it a common issue in
> debugging x64 release code?
>
>
> thanks in advance,
> George
>
>
>
>
> —
> You are currently subscribed to windbg as: xxxxx@gmail.com
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to xxxxx@lists.osr.com
>

Hi Skywing,

My confusion is what is the relationshp between PDB and source code, in what mechanisms do PDB and source code establish mapping relationship?

“This is because PDB does not allow reliable tracking of variables that get cached in registers” – I always think PDB is 100% match binary even if optimized code, but seems not?

regards,
George

----- Original Message ----
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:58:05 PM
Subject: RE: [windbg] Debugging issue to watch variable values

This is because PDB does not allow reliable tracking of variables that get cached in registers.

Local variable support is only reliable when you are doing source line stepping in a non-optimized debug build.

- S

Hello everyone,

thanks in advance,
George

You are currently subscribed to windbg as: unknown lmsubst tag argument: ‘’

Thanks Prokash,

I did some search and want to find how PDB establish relationship with binary (i.e. how bianry is using PDB to resolve symbols), but failed to find any good documents. Do you have any recommendations?

regards,
George

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:47:12 AM
Subject: Re: [windbg] Debugging issue to watch variable values

If you have no option but to debug release build ( where optimizations are on ), best thing to look at web to find how the registers are being used to pass the variables instead of stack. IIRC, there are some good and precise documents in the web abou it. Once you have that handy it should be bit easier to debug release code ( by looking at the registers’ value being changed …

-pro

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 3:08 AM, Lin George wrote:

Hello everyone,

thanks in advance,
George

You are currently subscribed to windbg as: xxxxx@gmail.com

You are currently subscribed to windbg as: xxxxx@yahoo.com

.pdb is the debug file information format which contains symbol and type info (including line number mappings) for a binary.

As far as I know, the current .pdb formats only describe locals in terms of stack locations and not registers. Thus, for locals (including function arguments) that get moved into registers, this fact is not recorded in a usable way that would allow the debugger to track this.

The bottom line is that when you have parameters and locals being moved into registers, they will not show correct values in the local variable display in the debugger. The only guaranteed reliable way to do it is to look at the actual disassembly and figure out what variables are going where.

• S

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:50 AM
To: Skywing
Cc: Kernel Debugging Interest List

Hi Skywing,

My confusion is what is the relationshp between PDB and source code, in what mechanisms do PDB and source code establish mapping relationship?

“This is because PDB does not allow reliable tracking of variables that get cached in registers” – I always think PDB is 100% match binary even if optimized code, but seems not?

regards,
George

- S

Hello everyone,

thanks in advance,
George

Thanks Skywing,

I think PDB is generated at compile/link time, correct?

I listed my confusions in 2 and 3, but I do not know which one is correct. Any comments?

If yes to 1, then during compile/link time, whether variable will be put on stack or in register is still not decided, only during runtime will the location (whether variable on stack or in register) be decided. – So that the generated PDB is not matching the exact situation (e.g. PDB may think some variable on stack, but actually it is in register), which cause the wrong variable value during debugging?

If yes to 1, then during compile/link time, whether variable will be put on stack or in register is still?be decided, but PDB will completely ignore such information in register. ?-- So that the generated PDB is not matching the exact situation (e.g. PDB may think some variable on stack, but actually it is in register), which cause the wrong variable value during debugging?

regards,
George

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:11:17 PM

.pdb is the debug file information format which contains symbol and type info (including line number mappings) for a binary.

As far as I know, the current .pdb formats only describe locals in terms of stack locations and not registers.? Thus, for locals (including function arguments) that get moved into registers, this fact is not recorded in a usable way that would allow the debugger to track this.

The bottom line is that when you have parameters and locals being moved into registers, they will not show correct values in the local variable display in the debugger.? The only guaranteed reliable way to do it is to look at the actual disassembly and figure out what variables are going where.

- S

Hi Skywing,

regards,
George

- S

Hello everyone,

thanks in advance,
George

To reiterate what I said earlier, as far as I know, the debug info format’s support for locals is based on the assumption that they are stack based.

This is a limitation of the current tools, and not so much of any fundamental technical roadblock aside from the fact that it’s not how things were written to work.

This is why debug builds always try and put locals on the stack instead of exclusively saving them in a register.

The .pdb is built at code generation time. Think of it as reflecting a view of locals before the optimizer has had a chance to figure out that some locals do not need to live on the stack at all, but may reside exclusively in a register.

• S

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 01:07

Thanks Skywing,

I listed my confusions in 2 and 3, but I do not know which one is correct. Any comments?

If yes to 1, then during compile/link time, whether variable will be put on stack or in register is still not decided, only during runtime will the location (whether variable on stack or in register) be decided. – So that the generated PDB is not matching the exact situation (e.g. PDB may think some variable on stack, but actually it is in register), which cause the wrong variable value during debugging?

If yes to 1, then during compile/link time, whether variable will be put on stack or in register is still be decided, but PDB will completely ignore such information in register. – So that the generated PDB is not matching the exact situation (e.g. PDB may think some variable on stack, but actually it is in register), which cause the wrong variable value during debugging?

regards,
George

As far as I know, the current .pdb formats only describe locals in terms of stack locations and not registers. Thus, for locals (including function arguments) that get moved into registers, this fact is not recorded in a usable way that would allow the debugger to track this.

The bottom line is that when you have parameters and locals being moved into registers, they will not show correct values in the local variable display in the debugger. The only guaranteed reliable way to do it is to look at the actual disassembly and figure out what variables are going where.

- S

Hi Skywing,

regards,
George

- S

Hello everyone,

thanks in advance,
George

Thanks Skywing,

So you think my issue of watching variables in release x64 mode with optimized code is, PDB file has limitation which could not correctly reflects the values in registers?

I am interested in how debugger could utilize information in PDB file to find related symbol related to some binary code. And also how to find related source code. I have made quite some search, but few good documents/articles. Do you have any of such materials to recommend to read?

regards,
George

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:49:28 PM

To reiterate what I said earlier, as far as I know, the debug info format’s support for locals is based on the assumption that they are stack based.

This is a limitation of the current tools, and not so much of any fundamental technical roadblock aside from the fact that it’s not how things were written to work.

This is why debug builds always try and put locals on the stack instead of exclusively saving them in a register.

The .pdb is built at code generation time.? Think of it as reflecting a view of locals before the optimizer has had a chance to figure out that some locals do not need to live on the stack at all, but may reside exclusively in a register.

- S

Thanks Skywing,

If yes to 1, then during compile/link time, whether variable will be put on stack or in register is still be decided, but PDB will completely ignore such information in register.? – So that the generated PDB is not matching the exact situation (e.g. PDB may think some variable on stack, but actually it is in register), which cause the wrong variable value during debugging?

regards,
George

As far as I know, the current .pdb formats only describe locals in terms of stack locations and not registers.? Thus, for locals (including function arguments) that get moved into registers, this fact is not recorded in a usable way that would allow the debugger to track this.

The bottom line is that when you have parameters and locals being moved into registers, they will not show correct values in the local variable display in the debugger.? The only guaranteed reliable way to do it is to look at the actual disassembly and figure out what variables are going where.

- S

Hi Skywing,

regards,
George

- S

Hello everyone,

thanks in advance,
George

I don’t know if it is still published, but ‘Undocumented Windows 2000 Secrets’ covers part of this. There’s not a whole lot out
there that discusses this subject.

Good luck,

mm

Lin George wrote:

Thanks Skywing,

So you think my issue of watching variables in release x64 mode with optimized code is, PDB file has limitation which could not correctly reflects the values in registers?

I am interested in how debugger could utilize information in PDB file to find related symbol related to some binary code. And also how to find related source code. I have made quite some search, but few good documents/articles. Do you have any of such materials to recommend to read?

regards,
George

> To: Kernel Debugging Interest List
> Cc: Kernel Debugging Interest List
> Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:49:28 PM
> Subject: RE: [windbg] Debugging issue to watch variable values
>
> To reiterate what I said earlier, as far as I know, the debug info format’s support for locals is based on the assumption that they are stack based.
>
> This is a limitation of the current tools, and not so much of any fundamental technical roadblock aside from the fact that it’s not how things were written to work.
>
> This is why debug builds always try and put locals on the stack instead of exclusively saving them in a register.
>
> The .pdb is built at code generation time. Think of it as reflecting a view of locals before the optimizer has had a chance to figure out that some locals do not need to live on the stack at all, but may reside exclusively in a register.
>
> - S
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lin George
> Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 01:07
> To: Skywing
> Subject: Re: [windbg] Debugging issue to watch variable values
>
>
> Thanks Skywing,
>
>
> 1.
>
> I think PDB is generated at compile/link time, correct?
>
>
> I listed my confusions in 2 and 3, but I do not know which one is correct. Any comments?
>
> 2.
>
> If yes to 1, then during compile/link time, whether variable will be put on stack or in register is still not decided, only during runtime will the location (whether variable on stack or in register) be decided. – So that the generated PDB is not matching the exact situation (e.g. PDB may think some variable on stack, but actually it is in register), which cause the wrong variable value during debugging?
>
> 3.
>
> If yes to 1, then during compile/link time, whether variable will be put on stack or in register is still be decided, but PDB will completely ignore such information in register. – So that the generated PDB is not matching the exact situation (e.g. PDB may think some variable on stack, but actually it is in register), which cause the wrong variable value during debugging?
>
>
> regards,
> George
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----
> From: Skywing
> Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:11:17 PM
>
> .pdb is the debug file information format which contains symbol and type info (including line number mappings) for a binary.
>
> As far as I know, the current .pdb formats only describe locals in terms of stack locations and not registers. Thus, for locals (including function arguments) that get moved into registers, this fact is not recorded in a usable way that would allow the debugger to track this.
>
> The bottom line is that when you have parameters and locals being moved into registers, they will not show correct values in the local variable display in the debugger. The only guaranteed reliable way to do it is to look at the actual disassembly and figure out what variables are going where.
>
> - S
>
> From: Lin George [mailto:xxxxx@yahoo.com]
> Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:50 AM
>
> Hi Skywing,
>
>
> 1.
>
> My confusion is what is the relationshp between PDB and source code, in what mechanisms do PDB and source code establish mapping relationship?
>
> 2.
>
> “This is because PDB does not allow reliable tracking of variables that get cached in registers” – I always think PDB is 100% match binary even if optimized code, but seems not?
>
>
> regards,
> George
>
>
> Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:58:05 PM
>
> This is because PDB does not allow reliable tracking of variables that get cached in registers.
>
> You should be analyzing the code manually in this case.
>
> Local variable support is only reliable when you are doing source line stepping in a non-optimized debug build.
>
> - S
>
> Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 05:09
> Subject: [windbg] Debugging issue to watch variable values
>
>
> Hello everyone,
>
>
> 1.
>
> Sometimes in x64 release code (optimized to full level), even if we defined some global data, variables or member variables for some data structures, we can not see the actual value in debugger. The related error message is – “Error: expression cannot be evaluated”.
>
> I think it is because of x64 code optimization to remove some variables or changed code execution path?
>
> 2.
>
> Any ways to “watch” such variables? Currently I am just looking at the asembly code to find what the actual execution is. For example, in source code I pass variable foo to function SetValue, but since in debugger I can not watch such variable foo, then I go to assembly code to watch what values are passed to function SetValue through register or stack.
>
> Any better ideas to debug such x64 optimized code? Is it a common issue in debugging x64 release code?
>
>
> thanks in advance,
> George
>
>
>
>
> —
> You are currently subscribed to windbg as: xxxxx@valhallalegends.com
>
> —
> You are currently subscribed to windbg as: unknown lmsubst tag argument: ‘’
>
>
>
>
>
> —
>
>
>
>
>
> —
>
>
>
>
>

Re: 1. To say this for the third time, yes, this is your problem. You have to manually look at the disassembly to figure out where things are - end of story.

Re: 2. I don’t know the specifics of the internal representation, but one assumes that there is a table somewhere that maps address ranges to a particular source file and line number. The .pdb debug info format is not documented.

The debugger uses DbgHelp for retrieving this information from symbol files. If you are interested in how those APIs are defined, then you need to go look at the DbgHelp documentation in MSDN. You will get more useful information from reading that documentation than asking here about how to work with symbols on your own.

• S

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 07:56

Thanks Skywing,

regards,
George

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:49:28 PM

The .pdb is built at code generation time. Think of it as reflecting a view of locals before the optimizer has had a chance to figure out that some locals do not need to live on the stack at all, but may reside exclusively in a register.

- S

Thanks Skywing,

If yes to 1, then during compile/link time, whether variable will be put on stack or in register is still be decided, but PDB will completely ignore such information in register. – So that the generated PDB is not matching the exact situation (e.g. PDB may think some variable on stack, but actually it is in register), which cause the wrong variable value during debugging?

regards,
George

- S

Hi Skywing,

regards,
George

- S

Hello everyone,

thanks in advance,
George

Thanks Martin!

Actually I have read this, but it only covers the format of PDB file in a very high level (e.g. into blocks and streams), not mentioned how debugger utilizing PDB file to work. Any comments? Do you have any brief description of how debugger utilizing PDB file? :slight_smile:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=22685

regards,
George

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:02:05 PM
Subject: Re:[windbg] Debugging issue to watch variable values

I don’t know if it is still published, but ‘Undocumented Windows 2000 Secrets’ covers part of this.? There’s not a whole lot out
there that discusses this subject.

Good luck,

mm

Lin George wrote:
> Thanks Skywing,
>
>
> 1.
>
> So you think my issue of watching variables in release x64 mode with optimized code is, PDB file has limitation which could not correctly reflects the values in registers?
>
> 2.
>
> I am interested in how debugger could utilize information in PDB file to find related symbol related to some binary code. And also how to find related source code. I have made quite some search, but few good documents/articles. Do you have any of such materials to recommend to read?
>
>
> regards,
> George
>
>
> Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:49:28 PM
>
> To reiterate what I said earlier, as far as I know, the debug info format’s support for locals is based on the assumption that they are stack based.
>
> This is a limitation of the current tools, and not so much of any fundamental technical roadblock aside from the fact that it’s not how things were written to work.
>
> This is why debug builds always try and put locals on the stack instead of exclusively saving them in a register.
>
> The .pdb is built at code generation time.? Think of it as reflecting a view of locals before the optimizer has had a chance to figure out that some locals do not need to live on the stack at all, but may reside exclusively in a register.
>
> - S
>
>
>
> Thanks Skywing,
>
>
> 1.
>
>
>
> I listed my confusions in 2 and 3, but I do not know which one is correct. Any comments?
>
> 2.
>
> If yes to 1, then during compile/link time, whether variable will be put on stack or in register is still not decided, only during runtime will the location (whether variable on stack or in register) be decided. – So that the generated PDB is not matching the exact situation (e.g. PDB may think some variable on stack, but actually it is in register), which cause the wrong variable value during debugging?
>
> 3.
>
> If yes to 1, then during compile/link time, whether variable will be put on stack or in register is still be decided, but PDB will completely ignore such information in register.? – So that the generated PDB is not matching the exact situation (e.g. PDB may think some variable on stack, but actually it is in register), which cause the wrong variable value during debugging?
>
>
> regards,
> George
>
>
>
> .pdb is the debug file information format which contains symbol and type info (including line number mappings) for a binary.
>
> As far as I know, the current .pdb formats only describe locals in terms of stack locations and not registers.? Thus, for locals (including function arguments) that get moved into registers, this fact is not recorded in a usable way that would allow the debugger to track this.
>
> The bottom line is that when you have parameters and locals being moved into registers, they will not show correct values in the local variable display in the debugger.? The only guaranteed reliable way to do it is to look at the actual disassembly and figure out what variables are going where.
>
> - S
>
>
> Hi Skywing,
>
>
> 1.
>
> My confusion is what is the relationshp between PDB and source code, in what mechanisms do PDB and source code establish mapping relationship?
>
> 2.
>
> “This is because PDB does not allow reliable tracking of variables that get cached in registers” – I always think PDB is 100% match binary even if optimized code, but seems not?
>
>
> regards,
> George
>
>
>
> This is because PDB does not allow reliable tracking of variables that get cached in registers.
>
>
> Local variable support is only reliable when you are doing source line stepping in a non-optimized debug build.
>
> - S
>
>
>
> Hello everyone,
>
>
> 1.
>
> Sometimes in x64 release code (optimized to full level), even if we defined some global data, variables or member variables for some data structures, we can not see the actual value in debugger. The related error message is – “Error: expression cannot be evaluated”.
>
> I think it is because of x64 code optimization to remove some variables or changed code execution path?
>
> 2.
>
> Any ways to “watch” such variables? Currently I am just looking at the asembly code to find what the actual execution is. For example, in source code I pass variable foo to function SetValue, but since in debugger I can not watch such variable foo, then I go to assembly code to watch what values are passed to function SetValue through register or stack.
>
> Any better ideas to debug such x64 optimized code? Is it a common issue in debugging x64 release code?
>
>
> thanks in advance,
> George
>
>
>
>
> —
> You are currently subscribed to windbg as: xxxxx@valhallalegends.com
>
> —
>
>
>
>
>
> —
>
>
>
>
>
> —
>
>
>
>? ? ?
>

You are currently subscribed to windbg as: xxxxx@yahoo.com

In a release build with full optimization, it is not possible for the
debugger to track a parameter passed in a register, the compiler is free to
use that register for something else when that parameter is no longer
needed, or to shuffle it to the stack as a temp or another register.

That why optimization is off for a debug build.

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Skywing wrote:

> To reiterate what I said earlier, as far as I know, the debug info format’s
> support for locals is based on the assumption that they are stack based.
>
> This is a limitation of the current tools, and not so much of any
> fundamental technical roadblock aside from the fact that it’s not how things
> were written to work.
>
> This is why debug builds always try and put locals on the stack instead of
> exclusively saving them in a register.
>
> The .pdb is built at code generation time. Think of it as reflecting a
> view of locals before the optimizer has had a chance to figure out that some
> locals do not need to live on the stack at all, but may reside exclusively
> in a register.
>
> - S
>
>
>
> Thanks Skywing,
>
>
> 1.
>
>
>
> I listed my confusions in 2 and 3, but I do not know which one is correct.
> Any comments?
>
> 2.
>
> If yes to 1, then during compile/link time, whether variable will be put on
> stack or in register is still not decided, only during runtime will the
> location (whether variable on stack or in register) be decided. – So that
> the generated PDB is not matching the exact situation (e.g. PDB may think
> some variable on stack, but actually it is in register), which cause the
> wrong variable value during debugging?
>
> 3.
>
> If yes to 1, then during compile/link time, whether variable will be put on
> stack or in register is still be decided, but PDB will completely ignore
> such information in register. – So that the generated PDB is not matching
> the exact situation (e.g. PDB may think some variable on stack, but actually
> it is in register), which cause the wrong variable value during debugging?
>
>
> regards,
> George
>
>
>
> .pdb is the debug file information format which contains symbol and type
> info (including line number mappings) for a binary.
>
> As far as I know, the current .pdb formats only describe locals in terms of
> stack locations and not registers. Thus, for locals (including function
> arguments) that get moved into registers, this fact is not recorded in a
> usable way that would allow the debugger to track this.
>
> The bottom line is that when you have parameters and locals being moved
> into registers, they will not show correct values in the local variable
> display in the debugger. The only guaranteed reliable way to do it is to
> look at the actual disassembly and figure out what variables are going
> where.
>
> - S
>
>
> Hi Skywing,
>
>
> 1.
>
> My confusion is what is the relationshp between PDB and source code, in
> what mechanisms do PDB and source code establish mapping relationship?
>
> 2.
>
> “This is because PDB does not allow reliable tracking of variables that get
> cached in registers” – I always think PDB is 100% match binary even if
> optimized code, but seems not?
>
>
> regards,
> George
>
>
>
> This is because PDB does not allow reliable tracking of variables that get
> cached in registers.
>
>
> Local variable support is only reliable when you are doing source line
> stepping in a non-optimized debug build.
>
> - S
>
>
>
> Hello everyone,
>
>
> 1.
>
> Sometimes in x64 release code (optimized to full level), even if we defined
> some global data, variables or member variables for some data structures, we
> can not see the actual value in debugger. The related error message is –
> “Error: expression cannot be evaluated”.
>
> I think it is because of x64 code optimization to remove some variables or
> changed code execution path?
>
> 2.
>
> Any ways to “watch” such variables? Currently I am just looking at the
> asembly code to find what the actual execution is. For example, in source
> code I pass variable foo to function SetValue, but since in debugger I can
> not watch such variable foo, then I go to assembly code to watch what values
> are passed to function SetValue through register or stack.
>
> Any better ideas to debug such x64 optimized code? Is it a common issue in
> debugging x64 release code?
>
>
> thanks in advance,
> George
>
>
>
>
> —