Controlling access to network drives

Hello,

I’m just throwing this out there to get some suggestions. I’m not sure if this is the best place to ask.
I am trying to figure out the best way to prevent write access to all network drives. This would apply to all volumes that are not physically present on the PC.
I’m thinking I might need to do this with some kind of filter driver, but I’m not sure exactly what kind. If there’s a way to do it without a driver that would probably be even better and simpler.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Why can’t you just prevent them from connecting via permissions?

mm

xxxxx@bayalink.com wrote:

Hello,

I’m just throwing this out there to get some suggestions. I’m not sure if this is the best place to ask.
I am trying to figure out the best way to prevent write access to all network drives. This would apply to all volumes that are not physically present on the PC.
I’m thinking I might need to do this with some kind of filter driver, but I’m not sure exactly what kind. If there’s a way to do it without a driver that would probably be even better and simpler.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Could you give a little bit more detail on how to do that? I’m not sure how to access these permissions.
Also, ideally it should be possible to turn this off and on when logged on as a regular user. It’s fine if it needs initial setup by an admin, but after that it should be possible to control it from a user account.
Thanks.

It depends on what you want to do in the big picture. If all you want to do is remove access to
network drives, then assuming you had a mapped drive named ‘l:,’ even just this would do it:

net use /delete l:

That being said, I’m not really sure what you’re going for here, and you will probably run in to
admin problems.

mm

xxxxx@bayalink.com wrote:

Could you give a little bit more detail on how to do that? I’m not sure how to access these permissions.
Also, ideally it should be possible to turn this off and on when logged on as a regular user. It’s fine if it needs initial setup by an admin, but after that it should be possible to control it from a user account.
Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into the net use commands.
Assuming that I couldn’t do this with setting user permissions what kind of filter driver would I need. To make sure it’s filtering ALL network drives.
I already have a volume class filter that attaches to all local volumes, but it doesn’t work with network volumes, so I need something else to filter those.

Maybe I should rephrase the question and focus it a bit more.
If I wanted to write some sort of file system filter to filter network drives what would be the best approach to capture all the drives. Could I write a basic minifilter and attach it to \Device\Mup. Or would I need a network redirector filter. My concern is that some drives might not register with Mup.
I’ve been trying to figure out how exactly network drives are organized and how Mup fits into the whole thing, but I’m still not sure about a few things. Please excuse me if the questions don’t make sense.