Coding drivers to support different modes on chipsets

If I wrote a brand new driver for non-supporting monitor mode or master mode chipsets, would it be possible to allow them to support these modes after?

For example, I have ALFA USB WiFi AWUS036NH which does not support Master Mode(AKA access point mode). It uses chipset Realtek RTL8812AU WLAN chipset.

If I wrote a brand new driver for this specific chipset, is it possible I could make it support Access point mode? (Not to mention I need to learn how to code drivers for this purpose)

Or like the WiFi card that my laptop is using (possibly not supporting anything other than managed-mode) if I wrote a driver for its chipset, is it possible I could have it support Monitor or Access Point Mode?

And if this is possible the right driver would be the NDIS driver, right ?

indeed this is what a miniport driver would do as it handles the low level packets.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/ndis-miniport-drivers2

so for a wifi-card on a laptop, is it possible that i code a driver to make it a monitor mode, or like a master mode ?

imagine a toshiba laptop’s NIC which can’t be SET into monitor mode. I just need my own custom miniport driver ? if so any examples ?

Note:

And this also means that i don’t need the manufacturers, just can code the driver on my own to get all the packets of the NIC (not just intended ones, AKA monitor mode.)

If the chipset does not support a mode, then you can’t force the mode through a driver. How would you even do that?

I understand, so it only depends on the manufacturer, not the driver/software written for it @Tim_Roberts

The driver merely exposes the abilities of the hardware. If the hardware doesn’t do it, the driver can’t expose it.

Okay so, in managed mode the packets that are intended for that MAC address are only captured. Meaning that it actually reads all packets and filters.
And that capture mechanism somehow exists in the device.
And if this mechanism has nothing to do with the driver, then what does it have to do with ? (possibly out of scope question, yet just trying to settle my mind )

Thank you @Tim_Roberts

and I am referring to a network interface card, ok that would mean the hardware has the capability do as such ?

Look, I’m not sure what you’re expecting. Unless you work for or with the company, it’s virtually impossible for you to write a driver for the device. The information you need is just not available. Network drivers are complicated, and they can’t invent hardware features that don’t exist.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.