blue screen when calling IoDetachDevice

Hi, thanks for your advices about the cable for remote debuging. A friend said that he would find it for me.
Meanwhile I have used DbgView and located the bug in the driver. The system crash when the driver calls the function IoDetachDevice. I get a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen. IoDetachDevice is expected to execute at IRQL PASSIVE_LEVEL, so just before the funcion is called I print the IRQL using KeGetCurrentIRQL and the last message my driver sends says that IRQL is equal to 0, so the IRQL is OK, after that comes the crash. The blue screen says that the module that caused the crash was ntoskrnl.exe.
Does anybody know why this happen?
I am making my driver starting from Nagar’s sample. The original from Nagar doesn’t crash (of course), even when the code that causes the crash is from the original.

Before I finished writing this e-mail I put a few more DbgPrint on the driver and tested it one more. And it worked OK, that was a surprise. I restarted two or three times more and it is working OK. Anyway, I still have the doubt.
Thanks.

This bugcheck does not neccesarily have something to do with the current
IRQL, although it looks like that. I have seen this bugcheck where some
module in the kernel was referencing an offset in a structure, while the
pointer to that structure was NULL.

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:xxxxx@lists.osr.com] On Behalf Of Ratmil Torres
Sent: donderdag 26 september 2002 19:11
To: File Systems Developers
Subject: [ntfsd] blue screen when calling IoDetachDevice

Hi, thanks for your advices about the cable for remote debuging. A
friend said that he would find it for me.
Meanwhile I have used DbgView and located the bug in the driver. The
system crash when the driver calls the function IoDetachDevice. I get a
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen. IoDetachDevice is expected to
execute at IRQL PASSIVE_LEVEL, so just before the funcion is called I
print the IRQL using KeGetCurrentIRQL and the last message my driver
sends says that IRQL is equal to 0, so the IRQL is OK, after that comes
the crash. The blue screen says that the module that caused the crash
was ntoskrnl.exe.
I am making my driver starting from Nagar’s sample. The original from
Nagar doesn’t crash (of course), even when the code that causes the
crash is from the original.

Before I finished writing this e-mail I put a few more DbgPrint on the
driver and tested it one more. And it worked OK, that was a surprise. I
restarted two or three times more and it is working OK. Anyway, I still
have the doubt.
Thanks.

You are currently subscribed to ntfsd as: xxxxx@zeelandnet.nl
To unsubscribe send a blank email to %%email.unsub%%

1. Alwyas run with Driver Verifier enabled in development phase
  2. Load the dump in latest Windbg version and make sure you use correct OS symbols. Even better if you have a checked OS build
  3. type analyze -v
  4. copy / paste information displayed in your post. DONT write it manually.
  5. DbgPrint() is not a replacement for real debugging. While developing device drivers is essential to have a correct debugging environment set up and to have minimal debugging knowledge.

In most of the cases, we are unable to give you any help whithout the minimal setup and information outlined before. We cant just guess.

Ciao Dan

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 8:10 PM

Hi, thanks for your advices about the cable for remote debuging. A friend said that he would find it for me.
Meanwhile I have used DbgView and located the bug in the driver. The system crash when the driver calls the function IoDetachDevice. I get a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen. IoDetachDevice is expected to execute at IRQL PASSIVE_LEVEL, so just before the funcion is called I print the IRQL using KeGetCurrentIRQL and the last message my driver sends says that IRQL is equal to 0, so the IRQL is OK, after that comes the crash. The blue screen says that the module that caused the crash was ntoskrnl.exe.
I am making my driver starting from Nagar’s sample. The original from Nagar doesn’t crash (of course), even when the code that causes the crash is from the original.

Before I finished writing this e-mail I put a few more DbgPrint on the driver and tested it one more. And it worked OK, that was a surprise. I restarted two or three times more and it is working OK. Anyway, I still have the doubt.
Thanks.

You are currently subscribed to ntfsd as: xxxxx@rdsor.ro

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL may indicate that you referenced wrong memory (e.g. memory that was already freed or completely bogus address). Please provide us with stack dump and possibly we would say some more.

-htfv

Thanks.

You are currently subscribed to ntfsd as: xxxxx@vba.com.by

OK. I will send it when I get the crash again. Yesterday the system crashed all the times I tested. I don’t know what the diference is today, it has not showed the blue screen but thanks anyway you have given me a clue about what may be going wrong.
Thanks all of you.
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 7:32 AM
Subject: [ntfsd] Re: blue screen when calling IoDetachDevice

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL may indicate that you referenced wrong memory (e.g. memory that was already freed or completely bogus address). Please provide us with stack dump and possibly we would say some more.

-htfv

Thanks.

You are currently subscribed to ntfsd as: xxxxx@vba.com.by

You are currently subscribed to ntfsd as: xxxxx@seg.inf.cu