What is the "Correct" way of blocking external usb connection (flash drive, WPD, etc) in 7+?

@Oleksandr said:

@brad_H said:

@Dejan_Maksimovic said:
True :slight_smile:
Bur it has to have drivers present already. So you still donā€™t need to
filter unknown classes.

Remember the USB stick that has a keyboard device ID? Think around that,
and you have a product.

I apologize in advance for rookie questions, as I am still learning, but I have three of them:

1. Considering that there is a USB class {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}, also a USBDevice class {88bae032-5a81-49f0-bc3d-a4ff138216d6}, What is their difference, and also why canā€™t I just monitor every USB device by registering as an UpperFilter for the USB class? Arenā€™t all the USB devices no matter what they do (printer, mouse, webcam, etc), at the end a USB device, thus an UpperFilter for USB class should catch them all? If not, why?

2. Is my understanding correct that when you connect a USB device, the Windows USB bus driver will detect the connection, and create a corresponding PDO for that new device, therefore even if a malicious USB device registers itself as something that its not, for example an Ethernet or keyboard (instead of what it actually is, which is a USB flash drive), then its limited to the functionality of that class right? I mean if it registers only as a keyboard, then it surely cannot act as a flash drive, right?!

3. Is my understanding correct that when you connect a new USB device, the Windows will search for the corresponding driver file in its driverStore based on the deviceID, therefore a malicious USB device cannot load arbitrary drivers for its functionality, and windows will only load approved drivers from reliable sources, and will not load a driver that is sent to it from the USB device, right?

Sorry it got way too long, would you mind recommending me a Book or a blogpost that delves into these topics? Non of the Windows kernel programming that I found go into these topics in detail so I can understand the ā€œbig pictureā€ that how all of these are connected to each otherā€¦

Hi, Iā€™m also in this issue, any progress on this topic?

Unfortunately no :frowning:

But I am very sure (not 100%) that the answer to the third question is true. Windows will only load the approved drivers (WQHL signed) from its driver store when a USB is connected, and if not found, from Microsoft online sources, and loads the driver based on that deviceID, so its not possible to make a malicious USB device that loads a malicious driver. But the experts here can correct me If Iā€™m wrong.