Static Driver Verifier build issue

xxxxx@pleora.com wrote:

This brings up a question though. Our build seems to do some wacky stuff by copying the coinstaller DLLinto there as part of the build process. It feels awkward and hacky but I don’t really know what is the right way to do it. Is there any best practice for getting that DLL to a place where it can be signed and packaged with the sys file?

Why does it feel awkward?  If your INF mentions the co-installer, then
that DLL is literally part of your driver package, and needs to be
copied into the package folder.  Is this being done as part of the
vcxproj file?  There are build tasks for copying files like this.

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Yay! I?m glad you found the issue. Good old SDV…

You can use a driver ?package? project to agglomerate all the build products you need (sys file, DLL, INF, certificate file) into one place. It?s actually quite handy.

Peter
OSR
@OSRDrivers

@TimRoberts it was feeling awkward mostly because I didn’t understand at the time that it’s actually inf2cat that was copying the coinstaller. That feels more sane than when I thought we had some weird script doing it.

@PeterV We’re using a driver package project but I’m not entirely sure that it’s done the way that it SHOULD be. It seems like it does nothing on its own but just has a big fat post-build script that copies everything around and signs them and such. I think it’s leftover from our legacy circa 2012 projects.

I’m still left with the problem of getting SDV to have access to the coinstaller. The ‘normal’ build process puts it where it belongs but SDV seems to build everything elsewhere and I don’t see how I can convince it to get the coinstaller as well.

Ha! I was getting a sense of deja-vu and I’ve been down this road before.

https://osronline.com/showthread.cfm?link=272884

Almost 2 1/2 years ago I had done some work on revitalizing these projects that you had given some guidance with. I’ve been on completely unrelated work (embedded FPGA, non-windows) for a couple years and am just coming back and trying to page this all back into my head.

In any event, the big push now is to integrate our legacy projects into VS2017, HLK, driver certification, etc. I’m taking them back to first principles and trying to make them fit into current driver best practices but keep hitting weird road blocks.

Thanks again for all the help. I’ll keep plugging away and reading the docs.