SCSI Miniport Driver

>I have no idea what your first sentence means, but a miniport driver can all ScsiportNotification type >BusChangeDetected whenever it thinks the port driver ought to redo its inquiry operations.
I mean that HwFindAdapter is called only if SCSI port driver get PCI resources for a device and create PDO. It is similar to AddDevice in a regular WDM driver. If HwFindAdapter is not called it means that ScsiportNotification could not be called in any way.
For me is not clear who would own PDO in such design? Would be it SCSIPort driver or it should be a bus driver which enumerate device?
I see this as the main problem. After solving this the rest stuff would be easier to implement.

Igor Sharovar

Ah - yes, I tried to point that out yesterday, he needs either pci resources
or isa resources or scsiport just won’t talk to him at all.

That is separate from his issue on how to get scsiport to enumerate the scsi
bus targets.

Mark Roddy

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM, wrote:

> >I have no idea what your first sentence means, but a miniport driver can
> all ScsiportNotification type >BusChangeDetected whenever it thinks the port
> driver ought to redo its inquiry operations.
> I mean that HwFindAdapter is called only if SCSI port driver get PCI
> resources for a device and create PDO. It is similar to AddDevice in a
> regular WDM driver. If HwFindAdapter is not called it means that
> ScsiportNotification could not be called in any way.
> For me is not clear who would own PDO in such design? Would be it SCSIPort
> driver or it should be a bus driver which enumerate device?
> I see this as the main problem. After solving this the rest stuff would be
> easier to implement.
>
> Igor Sharovar
>
>
>
> —
> NTDEV is sponsored by OSR
>
> For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
> http://www.osr.com/seminars
>
> To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at
> http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer
>

> needs either pci resources or isa resources or scsiport just won’t talk to him at all

Allocating resources can solve a particular problem with being virtual, but there are other more optimal approaches that don’t allocate any resources.

Thank you guys. From your posts i understand that, ScsiportNotification type : BusChangeDetected will ask the SCSI port driver to send inquiry operations to the miniport. But i dont know why this is not available in other SCSI miniport drivers in DDK.

I’m planning to create a virtual bus driver (from toaster, because i’ve similar experience in creating a virtual USB bus driver) which will be commanded by an application to fake the system that a SCSI miniport adapter is arrived by creating a pdo and load the virtual SCSI port/miniport driver stack. From your suggestions, i understand that this is a huge task. Since we have to fake the SCSI driver so that it will call FindAdapter routines. Whether i cant put AdapterInterfaceType in HW_INITIALIZATION_DATA as Internal and fake the port driver.

Eriksson,
Can you just point out any way to do that.

Thank you all the guys for these informations.

Kumar,

From your description, it seems like you just want it to be some sort of in-house simulation tools because you don’t even need to worry about WHQL. Getting the miniport to load is just a small step, it’s a bumpy ride for you.

Why can’t you use storport? It’s much much easier. Is it because “we don’t buy your chip if you don’t have XP”?

Calvin

We are targetting XP now. So we are going to Virtual SCSI Miniport.