RE: remote kernel debugging on windows vista home premium?

W2k is pretty long in the tooth. (and I’m being kind…)

I don’t think anyone else has tried to use it as host machine kernel debugging platform for a long time.

You could try to get the .inf in the debugger 1394 directory to install manually, but I don’t know that that will succeed where the automatic installation failed.

The 1394 controller in the host should be banged out code 31 if debugging has been properly enabled. If you see code 31 in the target, then kd1394.dll has found and configured the 1394 controller on the target machine successfully.

My advice to you would be to clean install XPSP3 on your host, then install all the WU patches, and then install the debugger and my guess is that it will work fine.

How much RAM does that W2k host machine have?

Joe.

-----Original Message-----
From: xxxxx@lists.osr.com [mailto:xxxxx@lists.osr.com] On Behalf Of xxxxx@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:08 PM
To: Kernel Debugging Interest List
Subject: RE:[windbg] RE: remote kernel debugging on windows vista home premium?

Greetings, Gentlemen!
I am still having problems. Here is the most recent update.
Purchased and installed two Rosewill PCI FireWire 1394a cards, as Joe suggested.
Both working properly, confirmed in Device manage.
When I start windbg, it is trying to locate 1394kdbg.sys driver. After not finding it is trying to install it.
But it fails: FAILED TO ADD 1394 DEBUG DEVICE TO 1394 BUS. ERROR 0X80070032.
WinDbg version is 6.12.0002.633 x86.
1394 host controller is grabbed for debugging on the targer (Vista). I tried to disable it but it did not seem to matter.
My host operating system is WINDOWS 2000 SP4. I’ve done some research of this problem (including on OSR forums) and it is said somewhere that this OS on the host does not support remote debugging. If that’s the case, then I have no choise but give up.

WINDBG is sponsored by OSR

For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
http://www.osr.com/seminars

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer

This: The 1394 controller in the host should be banged out

Should read: The 1394 controller in the TARGET machine should be banged out

It is critical that the 1394 controller in the host machine NOT be banged out at all.

Sorry about that.

Joe.

Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:20 PM
Subject: RE: RE:[windbg] RE: remote kernel debugging on windows vista home premium?

I don’t think anyone else has tried to use it as host machine kernel debugging platform for a long time.

You could try to get the .inf in the debugger 1394 directory to install manually, but I don’t know that that will succeed where the automatic installation failed.

The 1394 controller in the host should be banged out code 31 if debugging has been properly enabled. If you see code 31 in the target, then kd1394.dll has found and configured the 1394 controller on the target machine successfully.

My advice to you would be to clean install XPSP3 on your host, then install all the WU patches, and then install the debugger and my guess is that it will work fine.

Joe.

From: xxxxx@lists.osr.com [mailto:xxxxx@lists.osr.com] On Behalf Of xxxxx@aol.com

Greetings, Gentlemen!
Purchased and installed two Rosewill PCI FireWire 1394a cards, as Joe suggested.
When I start windbg, it is trying to locate 1394kdbg.sys driver. After not finding it is trying to install it.
1394 host controller is grabbed for debugging on the targer (Vista). I tried to disable it but it did not seem to matter.
My host operating system is WINDOWS 2000 SP4. I’ve done some research of this problem (including on OSR forums) and it is said somewhere that this OS on the host does not support remote debugging. If that’s the case, then I have no choise but give up.

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer

I suspect that the 1394kdbg.sys driver may very well have imports that can’t be satisfied by the NT4 kernel. I think it may be XP and up only.

Joe.

From: xxxxx@lists.osr.com [mailto:xxxxx@lists.osr.com] On Behalf Of Joe Ballantyne
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:22 PM
Subject: RE: RE:[windbg] RE: remote kernel debugging on windows vista home premium?

This: The 1394 controller in the host should be banged out

Should read: The 1394 controller in the TARGET machine should be banged out

It is critical that the 1394 controller in the host machine NOT be banged out at all.

Sorry about that.

Joe.

Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:20 PM

Joe.

Greetings, Gentlemen!

I suspect that the 1394kdbg.sys driver may very well have imports that can’t be
satisfied by the NT4 kernel. I think it may be XP and up only.

That’s what I thought too, unfortunately…
So, in other words, we are done here…

Joe, here is what I see on the target (Vista):
“This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)”
So, am I cool on the target side at least? No need to bang out anything manually?
PS. Love your expreression regarding “long tooth”, very… visual.