How to force load a physical driver if no hardware installed?

SweetLow wrote:

But I’m still waiting the example of installing filter driver for existing device through Device Manager (or some other standard way) by using .INF:

Until Windows 10, there was no way to do such a thing using an INF.  A
device filter was installed using software that created a service entry
and then called the SetupDi APIs to modify the appropriate key in the
registry.  That method still works.  But in Windows 10, we now have the
concept of an “extension INF” that allows you to add upper and lower
filters and set additional registry entries to an existing device.  I do
not know if this is considered a “PnP driver package” in signature
terms.  It certainly makes the PnP job more challenging, because it has
to scan through ALL of the packages in the driver store, remember all of
the ones that matched, and call them in the appropriate order.

Peter,

Mr. SweetLow, you’re new here and you have tried to be helpful to others in several instances, so I’ll patiently explain the rules:
Stop the ad hominem attacks.

Well, I have to admit that it was me and not Mr/Ms. SweetLow who first assumed the condescending tone. To be honest, I was just set off by the assertion that AddDevice() might be arbitrarily toggled on and off in the registry settings,effectively switching between PnP and SCM service types. My apologies to Mr/Ms. SweetLow

Mr. Bassov was answering questions in this forum years before you got here, occasionally even being helpful
(though it’s hard to remember),

You forgot to mention the fact that I am, apparently, the only list member whose every post had, at some point, to get approved by
“The Hanging Judge” himself (!!!) before making its way “to general public”…

Anton Bassov

@Tim_Roberts said:
SweetLow wrote:

But I’m still waiting the example of installing filter driver for existing device through Device Manager (or some other standard way) by using .INF:

But in Windows 10, we now have the
concept of an “extension INF” that allows you to add upper and lower
filters and set additional registry entries to an existing device.
Thanks, Mr. Roberts.

@anton_bassov said:
Well, I have to admit that it was me and not Mr/Ms. SweetLow who first assumed the condescending tone. To be honest, I was just set off by the assertion that AddDevice() might be arbitrarily toggled on and off in the registry settings,effectively switching between PnP and SCM service types. My apologies to Mr/Ms. SweetLow
Ok. I know that our tone isn’t the tone of scientific discussion, so i apologies to you and site owner.

@“Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)” said:
I’m not sure WTF you’re arguing about here.
Portability of different solutions, of course:

SweetLow wrote:
Because early PnP platforms don’t support this, AFAIK.