Followup: Microsoft: No More Updates Allowed for Drivers on Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1

@“Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)” said:

The real solution here isn’t to find a certificate; The REAL solution is to school Microsoft in all the reasons that this is bad policy, and to work hard to get them to reverse this decision.

Hi Peter,

I am virtio-win maintainer.
How can I help?
Should we approach MS through development support or do you know other ways to approach MS to discuss the “update-apocalypse” with them?

Best regards,
Yan.

thwaite and geo-whatever expire on 2.22 so it should be an
interesting month. Digicert and many others expire early april. I happen to
know that some very large companies have no clue this is happening. I

Mark Roddy

Should we approach MS through development support

You should approach MSFT through whatever mechanisms are available to you.

If your company has executives that have Quarterly Reviews with MSFT higher-ups, then that’s a good place to bring this issue. If you have interactions with folks in MSFT Premier Support, then by all means raise the issue there. If you have buddies (devs or PMs) who happen to work in one of the product groups, that’s a good place. If all you have is per-incident support, then go that way.

The key is for as many people as possible to raise the issue.

There ARE people internally who want to fix this, but they don’t have the clout to manage it themselves and therefore need folks from outside of MSFT to provide ammunition. Without breaking any confidences, I can tell you that I had one PM tell me that there are folks internally who do not believe that there are a legit subset of drivers that are correct, but will never be able to pass the WHQL tests. Internally, the mantra has been “WTF are they so upset about? This isn’t an issue. Just pass WHQL and be done with it.”

Peter