20.04 WDK is borked if you need to submit a DVL.

Actually it isn’t just the 20.04 wdk. At least the prior release also has
the busted dvl.exe. At the moment the only thing working for me is the EWDK
from last year.

And yes I did obviously check to see if this was a known issue. Not that
msft makes it particularly easy to figure that out. (Nor do other closed
source software companies.)

Mark Roddy

It isn’t just start times. It is, in no particular order, and off the top of my head:

• poor integration with VStudio, for example the WDK continues to not be available like normal components from the installer.
  • over-complicated project templates that make standardized settings for large projects more difficult than they need to be.
  • ridiculous rev locking. I get why I can’t build up-rev WDK projects with down-rev VS, but I should be able to build, without modification, down rev WDK projects with up-rev VS.
  • steering developers to wrong approaches - like for example the awful driver debugging in VS and the awful workflow of that interface.
  • arbitrary UI changes - in VS2019 the ‘Driver’ menu option disappeared from the top menu and migrated to the drop down Extensions menu.
  • gargantuan size of VS. Even the allegedly stripped down toolset of the EWDK occupies 2G.
  • we’ve moved back to a commandline/api world, and away from over-complicated all-purpose gui behemoth apps

Mr. @Mark_Roddy … there is nothing in your list that I do not agree with.

I mean, I personally couldn’t care less about the size of VS or about where they put the “Driver” menu. But your complaints are certainly valid.

What I want and value most, above all those things, is an easy, powerful, and helpful coding interface. This is probably because I am either lazy or stupid… but when I create a function:

void
     fred(int bob) {

// rest of code here 

}

I love it when my editor tells me that I should probably make it:

void
     fred(const int & bob) { 

// rest of code here

}

That’s, of course, a ridiculous simplification… but I hope you get my point.

For this kind of help, and an interface that lets me move easily from KM C/C++ to UM C/C++ to UM C# to UM Python or whatever… I’m personally willing to ignore, if not forgive, a great deal.

Peter

but clearly it should be like this so the warnings will have been effecive at improving your style

void
fred(int const bob) {

// rest of code here

}

@“Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)” said:
And then we have this:

fatal error C1252: Circular or missing dependency between plugins: ‘PREfast Drivers Plugin’ requires GUID ‘{EB170136-3433-4C16-AE1D-8998BA5CAB16}’.

Which is (at least part of) what started this whole mess. Command line, EWDK, or in VS… can’t run SDV no how, no way.

Peter

Did you ever find a workaround for it? I’m now being hit by it with the latest WDK.

You know that you’re resurrecting a thread that’s long dead, right? And that’s seriously discouraged/frowned-upon/prohibited here?

Especially when there a thread specifically asking people with their experience with the latest WDK.

Post there, please. And I’ll answer your question there.

Peter

(thread locked)