Kernel Mode driver yellow bang Code 38. Repeatedly loading/unloading

Hi Everyone,

We have a kernel mode driver which after a sequence of hibernate stress tests resulted in one of the driver module repeatedly loading and unloading.
The resulting error code on device manager is 38 - which according to MSDN is that driver prior unloading failed.

From the WPP logs, all modules seem to cleanup and unload properly. Not sure how to debug this problem

Also we have a crash dump collected after we see this error on driver. But at that point we see driver is unloaded several times (by checking the output of lm ).

Is there anyway we can find the culprit causing this.?

Can the dump collected be any useful despite driver already unloaded. ?

Appreciate any help. Thanks

I see couple of similar posts with similar error code. Looks like OS has some dangling reference on the driver image ?

How do I check this on a remote system where this issue is rarely seen? I can’t get live setup for setting breakpoints and such.

Only trace logs and crash dump post the error code is possible. How do I track Object reference counts in this case? Any tips please ?

@cyberteen You probably want this question in NTDEV, not here… You might try asking in that forum.

1 Like

@“Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)” said:
@cyberteen You probably want this question in NTDEV, not here… You might try asking in that forum.

Ah okay. Looks like that forum is more active and appropriate.
Thanks Peter, will repost it there.