Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTFSD

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

Open a file relative to a fioe object from a minifilter?

Dejan_MaksimovicDejan_Maksimovic Member - All Emails Posts: 450
Hello.

I am trying to open a file, using a related file object and a blank filename for the (not related) FileObject. The problem? I need to do this from an existing file object, without getting its handle (it is not available yet).

Any ideas how to do this exactly? Using a file name, or open by file ID won't work.

The purpose is to make sure the right file is being worked on. If I had handles, I would use the original handle as RootDirectory and a blank file name, and that is what I am trying to mimic with an FO. But handles are not an option.

Regards, Dejan.

Comments

• rod_widdowsonrod_widdowson Member - All Emails Posts: 1,215

SWAG:

how about sending a FltCreate as from the instance above, catching it in your pre-create and changing the file object it gives you to point to your file object (as a relative file object to “”) No idea if it would work, but if you try it do report back…..

• Dejan_MaksimovicDejan_Maksimovic Member - All Emails Posts: 450
    via Email
    That would not work in production i reckon :)

Kind regards, Dejan.
    https://www.alfasp.com