Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Did a Comment You Wrote Disappear? Or NOT Appear?

The forum isn’t broken. There’s a very sophisticated spam filtering package that attempts to automagically identify and quarantine posts that are spam. As clever as it is, it is sometimes not quite clever enough.

When post is marked as spam, it’s put in a queue for review by the mods.

If one of your posts doesn’t appear (or you edit a post and it suddenly disappears), you can let the mods know by posting something here in the A&A section... you can retry your post (a slight wording change might avoid the filter), or you can wait for one of the mods to notice the spam queue and approve your post.

There IS a mechanism that allows us to designate specific users as “verified” so that their posts never get marked as spam. Whenever a post is incorrectly marked as spam, and that user has a history of proper posting, we set that user to “verified” so the problem will not recur.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
OSR
@OSRDrivers

Comments

• AndersAnders Member Posts: 5

Is the transition to the new server complete? Can old migrated posts be detected as spam? The reason I ask is because one of my old posts did not migrate correctly. It does not identify me and a couple of replies from me and other members are missing!

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 9,162

Is the transition to the new server complete?

Yes.

Can old migrated posts be detected as spam?

No.

The reason I ask is because one of my old posts did not migrate correctly. It does not identify me and a couple of replies from me and other members are missing!

Can you provide me more details? Email me offline if you’d prefer.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• AndersAnders Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2019

I think missing posts can be attributed the subjects not matching. You could see those on the old server as well but the issue is less noticeable over e-mail.

Example:

First post: https://community.osr.com/discussion/288188/wer-crashapi-2655-error-invalid-args-too-big-block
    The rest of the thread: https://community.osr.com/discussion/288192/re-wer-crashapi-2655-error-invalid-args-too-big-block

I'm assuming there is too much work to fix these? Maybe look for identical topics around the same time but with the "Re: " prefix?

I sent you a e-mail regarding my user mismatch issue.

edited January 2019

I think missing posts can be attributed the subjects not matching.

The old list management software had a rather baroque (and often "broke") method of matching replies to posts, and threading things into a conversation.

When we moved from the old list to the new list, we made no attempt to re-thread conversations. Rather, we took the existing threads and moved them as they were in the old list.

As you pointed out, on the old site, two two items you referenced were threaded as separate conversations (the original is ID 288188, the new one... started by Mr. Roddy's reply is ID 288192). So... two separate threads on the old list yields two separate threads on the new list.

I'm assuming there is too much work to fix these?

Yes... It's work and given that the gain would be marginal in my opinion, I don't see how how we could justify that work. The old List Manager software got it wrong, so it's been wrong on the forums forever. I seem to recall (when I looked at fixing this years ago in the original List Manager) that the algorithm quickly got more complicated than you'd think with "strip off RE: and see if the subject matches" (which is what the old List Manager kinda did).

Just for fun and good will (it's the eight day of Christmas and New Year's Day after all) I manually merged the two threads that you mentioned.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• GunasekaranGunasekaran Member Posts: 11

My post disappeared..I posted it on 3 days back..Till it hasn't come.

• Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 14,852

My post disappeared

Someone recently asked a technical question on this forum, the "Announcements and Administration" category, and it disappeared. Was that you? If so, it was deleted because you obviously posted it in the wrong place. Take the time to put the question where it belongs.

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Software Wizard Emeritus

Yup. And I see another such post, dated 2 January, which was originally posted in this category, and not in NTDEV where it belongs.

I approved it, and moved it to NTDEV.

In future, pleas try to,post in the right category.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers