Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTFSD

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Filter ESP

0mWindyBug0mWindyBug Member Posts: 29
Will I/O to the EFI system partition go through the standard file system device stack? Is it possible to filter on it?

Comments

• Dejan_MaksimovicDejan_Maksimovic Member - All Emails Posts: 636
    via Email
    EFI is FAT, so yes.
    But not as early as you think if that is your question.
  • 0mWindyBug0mWindyBug Member Posts: 29

@Dejan_Maksimovic said:
    EFI is FAT, so yes.
    But not as early as you think if that is your question.

so the filter manager sits on both the fat32 file system device stack and the ntfs file system device stack? do we even have a device stack for each file system or simply one file system device stack?

via Email
    What do you mean by "file system device stack"?
    > @Dejan_Maksimovic said:
    > What do you mean by "file system device stack"?
    The device stack where IO initiated from functions like ReadFile and WriteFile is going to initially (there’s an article on OSR as well explaining the flow of ReadFile where it first reaches the file system device stack, then the volume , disk , storage etc
    (In that case ntfs.sys was on the “file system device stack” I’m referring to)
    via Email
    The stack is per volume. Not a common NTFS or FAT in general for all
    volumes.

@Dejan_Maksimovic said:
    The stack is per volume. Not a common NTFS or FAT in general for all
    volumes.

makes sense, so when sending an I/O I believe its the responsability of the I/O manager to navigate it to the correct stack ? and each stack will have the fltmgr device object present - correct?

via Email
    Exactly.