Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

When SoftwareBinary (from AddSoftware of SoftwareComponent inf), would be installed

zdzichzdzich Member Posts: 1

Hello Everyone!
I have an Extension inf in which I add a SoftwareComponent by "AddComponent" directive.
Next I add a SoftwareComponent inf in which I want to add a software by "AddSoftware" directive.
In "AddSoftware" section I used SoftwareBinary, because I want to install software not from Windows Store.

After installing SoftwareComponent inf I can see that it is in use and in logs ("setupaapi.dev.log") I see: "Driver has software pending install."

Questions are:
When system would try to install the specified in inf software?
Can I somehow debug this?
Where can I find logs from such an installation?

Comments

• Zac_LockardZac_Lockard Member - All Emails Posts: 65

The system will try to install it immediately, but not as part of the device installation - it is done by an independent service (DeviceSetupManager) after the device is installed. We don't have a way to debug it directly, but there are some events in event viewer that you can see under Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceSetupManager