Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTFSD

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Using Driver Allocated IRP pool, in this case IRP completion routine can return STATUS_SUCCESS

parsaparsa Member Posts: 67
edited May 2022 in NTFSD

Hi All,

I am creating IRP pool using LookAsideList and using it in my driver since IRP is being used frequently in my source.
I have a question regarding the return status from the IRP completion.

When driver maintained IRP pool was used, is it valid for the completion routine to return STATUS_SUCCESS to the IO manager?
After reading this article from OSR http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm^id=83.htm it seems returning STATUS_SUCCESS is not a valid return code when driver created irp pool used.

Snippet from the OSR article
"One common instance where a completion routine is used is when a driver creates and manages its own IRP pool. In this case, the I/O completion routine traps the IRP, returns it to the driver’s private IRP pool, and then returns STATUS_MORE_PROCESSING _REQUIRED to the I/O Manager. This causes the I/O Manager to immediately cease processing the IRP completion and leaves the IRP with the driver."

Thanks,

Post edited by Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) on

Comments

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 9,162

As you most certainly already know, from reading the rules of the forum, cross-posting is not allowed.

By definition, this is a cross-post.

Therefore, I am locking this thread.

Please don't repeat this behavior.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Upcoming OSR Seminars
OSR has suspended in-person seminars due to the Covid-19 outbreak. But, don't miss your training! Attend via the internet instead!
Kernel Debugging 9-13 Sept 2024 Live, Online
Developing Minifilters 15-19 July 2024 Live, Online
Internals & Software Drivers 11-15 Mar 2024 Live, Online
Writing WDF Drivers 20-24 May 2024 Live, Online