Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

HLK Windows 10 AppContainers_Tests fails with error can't find startappcontainer.exe

sagi_zarsagi_zar Member - All Emails Posts: 35

Hi,

I am running Hardware Lab kit tests on our WFP driver and the AppContainers_Tests fails on Pre-Configuration steps with the below error:

[FAIL] The machine is not properly configured for testing: Could not find required binary: C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\Hardware Lab Kit\Client\startappcontainer.exe

I didn't find startappcontainer.exe anywhere in the controller or client computers.
I saw that more people had this issue but no one gave an answer.

Thanks,
Sagi

Comments

• Mark_RoddyMark_Roddy Member - All Emails Posts: 4,470
    via Email
    You installed the latest updates and filters, right?

Mark Roddy
  • sagi_zarsagi_zar Member - All Emails Posts: 35

I'm using the latest HLK for Windows 10.
    What I saw in the last hour is that after loading the latest playlist, all the WFP tests are removed and I'm left with 1 small test that doesn't test WFP functionality at all.
    So it seems that for signing purpose the test that failed is not needed.
    It seems that this is a real bug in the WFP HLK tests and therefore it is not part of the playlist.
    The fact that all WFP tests were removed when loading the playlist make we wonder if the HLK tests for WFP drivers are working and worth the trouble to try and run them on my driver.

• Mark_RoddyMark_Roddy Member - All Emails Posts: 4,470

"make we wonder if the HLK tests for WFP drivers are working and worth the trouble to try and run them on my driver." -
    What is your goal? In general the goal for the HLK test process is to get a WHQL signature. So if that is down to one small test that does nothing much, that is exceptionally good news. If your goal is to increase the reliability and functional correctness of your software, generally the HLK doesn't do that, and instead you need to write your own tests.