WDTF simple I/O action plugin VS project

I’m updating drivers for WHQL submission. The drivers use a custom device class so WDTF/HLK require a custom WDTF simple I/O action plugin. MS online docs say a VS project for this is installed by the WDK …

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/wdtf/to-customize-i-o-for-your-device-using-the-wdtf-simple-i-o-action-plug-in

… but it’s just not. I’ve tried VS2015, VS2017, VS2019 and WDK’s from Win8 to Win11 … nothing. I’ve posted a MS doc bug on GitHub, no response yet. Does anyone out there know where I can find this project template?

I’ll be honest: I had never even heard of WDTF before your post. Why not just delete any references to it from your driver and be done with it?

To be clear: Supporting this WDTF thing is not a requirement for passing the HLKs… at least not that I’ve every heard of. And we’ve logo’ed some pretty unusual stuff over the years.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

(BTW: long time listener, first time caller :smile: )

I’ll go over the WHQL requirements again. It may be that HLK tests that use WDTF Simple I/O are not required for ‘Other’ devices.

Cheers,
Steve

Welcome, @SteveP !

We’ve definitely logo’ed “unclassified” devices, and never had to do any additions for testing. Like I said, I’m pretty certain that there’s no requirement to support any WDTF thing to get a logo. I don’t know many IHVs that would be “happy” with the idea of adding logo-specific test code to their drivers.

Peter