Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

Kernel Mode driver yellow bang Code 38. Repeatedly loading/unloading

cyberteencyberteen Member Posts: 7
edited October 21 in WINDBG

Hi Everyone,

We have a kernel mode driver which after a sequence of hibernate stress tests resulted in one of the driver module repeatedly loading and unloading.
The resulting error code on device manager is 38 - which according to MSDN is that driver prior unloading failed.

From the WPP logs, all modules seem to cleanup and unload properly. Not sure how to debug this problem

Also we have a crash dump collected after we see this error on driver. But at that point we see driver is unloaded several times (by checking the output of lm ).

Is there anyway we can find the culprit causing this.?

Can the dump collected be any useful despite driver already unloaded. ?

Appreciate any help. Thanks

Comments

• cyberteencyberteen Member Posts: 7

I see couple of similar posts with similar error code. Looks like OS has some dangling reference on the driver image ?

How do I check this on a remote system where this issue is rarely seen? I can't get live setup for setting breakpoints and such.

Only trace logs and crash dump post the error code is possible. How do I track Object reference counts in this case? Any tips please ?

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 8,769

@cyberteen You probably want this question in NTDEV, not here... You might try asking in that forum.

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• cyberteencyberteen Member Posts: 7
    edited October 29

@Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) said:
    @cyberteen You probably want this question in NTDEV, not here... You might try asking in that forum.

Ah okay. Looks like that forum is more active and appropriate.
    Thanks Peter, will repost it there.