Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Camera capture via UMDF

irena_birena_b Member Posts: 2

Hi All,

I'm writing a UMDF driver, in the driver context I would like to set a webcam stream and process it.
What is the best way to do it?

Best Regards,
Irena

Comments

• Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 13,642

Can you be more specific? Are you talking about intercepting and modifying the data stream from a web camera? That cannot be done from UMDF. The Kernel Streaming interface used by Windows cameras uses METHOD_NEITHER IRPs that do not follow normal IRP rules. It's hard enough with KMDF.

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• irena_birena_b Member Posts: 2

Hi Tim,
    Thank you for your quick response.
    I would like to be able to start the camera, set the camera resolution, and read the image data in my driver.
    Ideally, I wanted to control the camera at a higher level, like Madia Foundation API.

• Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 13,642

Then you do not want a driver at all. You just want a DLL, which internally uses DirectShow or Media Foundation to talk to the driver.

Each of those libraries has a component which acts as a proxy between their API and the Kernel Streaming interfaces. You do not want to re-implement that.

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.