windows device driver signing

Hiii all i am learning windows device driver development and i have developed windows device driver for windows 10 64 bit and windows 7 64 bit version and the driver is working properly for windows 10 and it is not working for windows 7 64 bit. for windows 7 driver is installed successfully and it is showing “Driver is working Properly” but when i opened driver details it is showing “Digital signer: Not Digitally signed” how to solve this problem but i changed what are the configure required for windows 7 64 bit in visual studio 2109 and i am attaching the image please check it and tell me the solution or tell me how to reconfigure the driver for different windows OS in visual studio 2019

Thank you.

1. you have to enable test signing on both systems as documented.
  2. if you are using a 256bit cert (and you should be ) your copy of win7 may not have the updates installed to support 256 bit certs.
1 Like

To be clear, a certificate that had a private key only 256 bits in length would be a joke from a security point of view. 4096 or 8192 bit keys should generally be used and longer ones are possible too. What he means is a certificate that uses SHA 256 versus SHA1 as a hash algorithm. The RTM version of windows 7 did not include support for such certificates (remember it was release in ~2009) but later windows updates provided support. The usual solution is to cross sign. That’s a process whereby you sign the same binary more than once with different certificates. An older less secure one for compatibility, and a newer more secure one to support newer OSes. IIRC there was extensive documentation on how to do this at the time, and MSFT even upgraded signtool expressly to allow this