Unable to use NDIS functions and types from WDM driver template.

I was looking ar try writing an NDIS driver and created a new project in my VS2019 installation, choosing the “Empty WDM Driver” as my starting template. I can include ndis.h, but many functions appear not be available including important things like NDIS_MINIPORT_DRIVER_CHARACTERISTICS and NdisMRegisterMiniportDriver cannot be used. Quickly searching for these in the actual ndis.h file shows that they are greyed out under the preprocessor directive #if NDIS_SUPPORT_NDIS6

I have the driver samples repository cloned, and the miniport driver sample works fine, with nothing and uses the same WDK installation. Looking at the configuration between my project and the samples, the options under the “Driver Settings” section are completely different. I’m still rather new to all this, so I’m assuming this is some misconfiguration on my part. Is there anything else I have to edit in my project configuration? The only change I’ve mad so far in making sure the linker links with the NDIS library. Perhaps the WDM driver template is not what I want for this type of driver?