Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Is it possible to log printf like messages when using manifest-based ETW

wdwd Member - All Emails Posts: 32
edited July 31 in NTDEV

On an older thread, @Jan_Bottorff, gave a nice synopsis of his use of full fledged ETW in a driver. Mr Bottoroff, are you able to log printf like messages (sort of like as in WPP) along with being able to log structured ETW-style events in your solution?
We're currently using WPP but would also like to be able log structured events for xperf, etc.

Thanks,
-wade

Post edited by wd on

Comments

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 7,913

Whether the trace data is structured or unstructured is an attribute of the stream. You can’t intermix the two in the same trace.

We’ve done both... but I can’t remember if we’ve ever done both structured tracing and WPP tracing in the same driver. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work (two different trace GUIDs)... but can’t say I know for sure.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• wdwd Member - All Emails Posts: 32

Ok - I'll look further into it. Thanks!

• MBond2MBond2 Member Posts: 145

of course you can - you just make a structured event that is something like '%s' and then dump the unstructured data into the structured log. Whether this is useful or a good idea is another question, but it is certainly possible.