Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Before Posting...

Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

Help with design decision (using sysvad virtual driver as base)

2»

Comments

• oldschool69oldschool69 Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2020

Hi Tim, it's me again :)

Just a curiosity. Do you think it's possible to implement this same solution by using a filter driver attached into a real audio driver?

My guess is no because all audio data that is sent by applications goes into MS Audio Engine through Audio APIs and, attaching a filter driver into a real audio driver we can listen some IRPs but we cannot access audio buffers.

if it's possible, what would be the pros and cons for this alternative?

Thanks!

• Tim_RobertsTim_Roberts Member - All Emails Posts: 13,907

... this same solution ...

You don't say what solution you're talking about. If you're talking about routing data to and from a monitoring application, then the answer is "no". All modern hardware audio drivers use the WinRT model, where the hardware's circular buffer and registers are mapped directly into the Audio Engine process. The driver is not involved in streaming in any way, so there's nothing to intercept.

Tim Roberts, [email protected]
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• oldschool69oldschool69 Member Posts: 13

I'm talking about the solution discussed in previous messages form this thread, capture audio buffers from other apps and do some processing. Anyway, I think you already answered my question, thanks!

• kaikai Member Posts: 4

@Tim_Roberts Hi sir, I’m using named pipe instead of ioctl and it’s seem to be working fine. Are there any disadvantage of using named pipe instead of ioctl? Thank you.