Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Method to send IO commands to different ports of an HDD connected to a SAS controller.

PKPK Member Posts: 16

Hello,
I am looking for ways to independently connect to the different ports of a SAS drive.

Is there a windows mechanism similar to SCSI passthrough mechanism where we can specify the ports, so we can have a different path from application to each port to perform I/O operation?

Is there a way to use GET_Initiator() command to achieve this?

In Linux we are able to create two nexus to each drive port. How can we achieve this in Windows?

Thanks.

Comments

• Mark_RoddyMark_Roddy Member - All Emails Posts: 4,375
    via Email
    It has been a long time, but I think first the HBA has to support dual
    ported SAS drives, and then it has to also provide a mechanism (in windows
    anyway) to prevent both ports being presented as independent disks to
    windows. In other words, this ends up being vendor specific. The HBA I
    worked with had commands to reserve/release ports, allowing us to build a
    dual ported FT solution on top of that HBA.

Mark Roddy