Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTDEV
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Restrict driver to non-Windows 10

jfbjfb Member Posts: 1

Hello,

I have a USB serial (CDC) driver I've written and used for some time. I no longer need it for Windows 10 users, as the built-in driver works fine.
How do I mark it such that, on an upgrade, Windows will use its own driver instead of my driver? Right now, as I am signing it for earlier versions, they get issues with attestation signing.

Thanks!

James

Comments

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 8,090

Hmmmmm... I’m not aware of any way you can make the driver not install for a newer version of the OS if a user explicitly tries to install it.

You can, of course, check the OS version in DriverEntry, log an entry in the event log, and fail. That doesn’t seem like a great option.

If what you really care about is people using Windows Update (aka WU) and you want to automatically have that “do the right thing” that is certainly part of the process. You can set what are called “floor” and “ceiling” versions of Windows to which your driver applies.

But in terms of a normal INF, I’m not aware of any way it can refuse to install based on specific version limits.

Peter

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• Andy_MoretonAndy_Moreton Member Posts: 11

How to do this is documented twowards the end of https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/inf-manufacturer-section

If you want an INF to explicitly exclude a specific operating system version, product type, or suite, create an empty INF Models section. For example, an empty section named [FooMfg.NTx86.6.0] prohibits installation on x86-based operating system versions 6.0 and higher.

• Peter_Viscarola_(OSR)Peter_Viscarola_(OSR) Administrator Posts: 8,090

Thank you, Mr. Moreton!

I (obviously) had no clue this type of functionality was possible using section decorations in an INF.

Easy awesomeness.

Peter Viscarola
    OSR
    @OSRDrivers

• MBond2MBond2 Member Posts: 198

Cool, but probably unhelpful for the OP though. if he had to develop a driver in the past, but now an in box one does the job, there will be an existing INF that does not have this section deployed into the wild. likely no easy way to go back in time and add that to the already released versions

• Eric_WittmayerEric_Wittmayer Member Posts: 50

Could you release a new INF only driver for Win10 using Windows update that had the blank section?