Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

How can I add a device interface to a non-pnp driver?

Jason_T.Jason_T. Member Posts: 62

First I'll start by answering the obligatory "what are you really trying to do here?" question :)

I just want to send IOCTLs to a driver from a UWP app. This has led me to the CustomDevice.FromIdAsync() method to open a driver. This open is based on a device interface GUID path, i.e. it won't work with a symbolic link/control device type of driver. The core problem is, my device does not have a hardware component and is a simple nonpnp driver. The kmdf framework prevents device interfaces from being registered on these devices. To make sure I wasn't doing something stupid I took the ioctl WDK sample and simply added a call to WdfDeviceCreateDeviceInterface, but it fails with STATUS_INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST. The ioctl sample exposes a symlink name that the user app opens, and that's great with win32, but seems to be a complete dead end with a UWP/store app.

So is there any way to do this? The only thing I can imagine is writing a bus driver to enumerate my hardware-less device, simply so that it fits into the pnp mold and thus can have a device interface exposed. But that seems like a huge amount of effort just to be able to send an ioctl.

-JT

Comments