Last Updated: 19 September 2018
These Rules and Guidelines are established for the overall good of the Community. We reserve the right to edit or change them at any time and without notice. For that reason, we recommend you stop by here frequently to check on the latest changes.
This Community and its forums is maintained by OSR Open Systems Resources, Inc. as a public service for the overall benefit of the Windows system software development community. The purpose of the Community is to provide help with problems, issues, and policies of interest to the Windows system software community. It's also intended as a place to have focused discussions regarding Windows driver development, file system and minifilter development, and debugging issues.
The Community is specifically NOT for extended debates and discussions, and we tend not to appreciate answers that start with "In Linux, we do it this way" or "On Android, this would be easy."
We will be creating an FAQ for each of the lists. If you'd like to contribute a question or an answer, please feel free to post about it in the relevant category.
The following are specifically inappropriate regarding this list:
1. Commercial postings - This is a technical community, and the only posts that are allowed are technical in nature. Please don't post advertisements or announcements for your products, services, or activities to the list. Your posting will NOT be considered technical (and thus legitimate), just because it starts with "I just wanted all you to know that we've released a new version of" some software. On the other hand, if somebody posts question saying "Can anybody recommend a good XYZ?", it's perfectly fine to answer "Yeah, we make XYZ's and we think they're pretty cool. Please contact me off-list for more info."
2. Job solicitations - Not from commercial concerns looking for developers, not from head hunters, not from small companies, not from people looking for work, not from consultants looking for clients.
3. Salary, consulting rate or price discussions - Something about the laws here in the States about price fixing comes into play here. Please just don't do it.
4. Use of the email addresses or names of Community members for "direct mail advertising" of any type.
5. Anything that, in the judgment of the list managers, is not in keeping with the overall spirit and purpose of the Community or is not in the best interest of the Windows system software development community as a whole.
We are a respectful, inclusive, community. We, as a community, will not tolerate behavior that disrespects, harasses, abuses, shames, denigrates, mocks, or otherwise marginalizes our members. We will not accept trolling, insulting or derogatory comments, or personal or political attacks.
Incidents of inappropriate conduct on the list will result in that member, and perhaps all members from the offender's company, being banned from the list.
There are a number of other items that are seriously discouraged, and tend to annoy the List Slaves (those who administer the lists). For example, PLEASE DO NOT POST THE SAME QUESTION TO IN MULTIPLE CATEGORIES. Also, please do the Community members the courtesy of searching the archives before you post a question.
The forums are all searchable from the web site, and can be searched by Google, using the "site:community.osr.com" qualifier.
You can post here in the Announcements and Administration section if you have questions about the Community.
You can also contact the Community Moderators (historically referred to as the "List Slaves") by sending email to [email protected] -- We'll be happy to hear from you. We think.