Windows System Software -- Consulting, Training, Development -- Unique Expertise, Guaranteed Results

Home NTFSD
Before Posting...
Please check out the Community Guidelines in the Announcements and Administration Category.

More Info on Driver Writing and Debugging

The free OSR Learning Library has more than 50 articles on a wide variety of topics about writing and debugging device drivers and Minifilters. From introductory level to advanced. All the articles have been recently reviewed and updated, and are written using the clear and definitive style you've come to expect from OSR over the years.

Check out The OSR Learning Library at: https://www.osr.com/osr-learning-library/

Mount manager: can I avoid automatic drive letter assignment?

Lubo?_KrestaLubo?_Kresta Member Posts: 1
Hello there,
I'm toying with virtual volumes and I'd like to achieve following: I want to request volume creation from user mode and mount it to a file system folder (e.g. d:\mounts\blah1), and I want this to be PnP-based.
I started with WDK samples (toaster, virtual volume). I can create volumes in PnP manner, volumes are memory-backed and dummy-formatted as FAT. When I initiate volume creation, I get E: drive, F: drive, .., I can use those as any other volume. Next, I played with IOCTL_MOUNTDEV_QUERY_SUGGESTED_LINK_NAME and got the volume mounted as e.g. W: instead of next letter available, but that's it. I didn't find a way to prevent automatic drive letter assignment. Is it possible to do that? To be clear: I want the volume to be created without mount points - so when I run e.g. mountvol I get the volume listed with "no mount points" message. No drive letter or such.
I can kind-a achieve that by doing "mountvol /N" (or maybe sending corresponding IOCTL to mount manager) before device creation, but it does not seem to be the best way of doing things, I hoped I would be able to do this as part of device-specific mount manager interaction.

Thanks,
L.