Deleting Enum\SCSI registry subkeys

My question concerns how to delete registry entries under the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\ key?
It seems impossible to delete these, despite taking ownership and setting permissions. What is the mechanism that’s so fiercely protecting these keys?

The reason for me wanting to delete these entries is that if a device is present under this key, then the system assumes the device is already installed, and so after a “Scan for hardware changes” no change is detected. Consequently the “Found new hardware wizard” is not activated and “Add legacy hardware” won’t bring up the device as a candidate for installation.

Regards, Richard.

You are going about this the wrong way. If you are intending to
replace an existing device’s driver with a new driver this is an
‘update driver’ operation. You can do this programatically or you can
do this manually from the device manager. All you need is a valid
driver package (inf cat sys etc files).

Mark Roddy

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:12 AM, wrote:
> My question concerns how to delete registry entries under the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\ key?
> It seems impossible to delete these, despite taking ownership and setting permissions. What is the mechanism that’s so fiercely protecting these keys?
>
> The reason for me wanting to delete these entries is that if a device is present under this key, then the system assumes the device is already installed, and so after a “Scan for hardware changes” no change is detected. ?Consequently the “Found new hardware wizard” is not activated and “Add legacy hardware” won’t bring up the device as a candidate for installation.
>
> Regards, Richard.
>
> —
> NTDEV is sponsored by OSR
>
> For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
> http://www.osr.com/seminars
>
> To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer
>

I do have a valid driver package and I can’t update (using device manager) because the device class, and consequently the device, is not present. I’ve been trying to work out how to update the class driver for the future distribution, and so I have deleted the class from the registry (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class), which is why it’s not present. The class driver seems impossible to update, as the INF ClassInstall section is ignored if the class is already defined.

Using Vista 64-bit by the way.

Regards, Richard.

Step back a bit and explain exactly what you are trying to do.

What type of device is this? What class did you delete? Which class
driver are you trying to replace?

Deleting classes and enum entries from the registry is just the wrong way to go.

Mark Roddy

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM, wrote:
> I do have a valid driver package and I can’t update (using device manager) because the device class, and consequently the device, is not present. ?I’ve been trying to work out how to update the class driver for the future distribution, and so I have deleted the class from the registry (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class), which is why it’s not present. ?The class driver seems impossible to update, as the INF ClassInstall section is ignored if the class is already defined.
>
> Using Vista 64-bit by the way.
>
> Regards, Richard.
>
> —
>
>
> To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer
>

xxxxx@compuserve.com wrote:

I do have a valid driver package and I can’t update (using device manager) because the device class, and consequently the device, is not present. I’ve been trying to work out how to update the class driver for the future distribution, and so I have deleted the class from the registry (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class), which is why it’s not present. The class driver seems impossible to update, as the INF ClassInstall section is ignored if the class is already defined.

There’s no such thing as a “class driver”. The “class” concept is
really just for grouping similar types of drivers. You can certainly
have a class filter driver, or a class co-installer. Can you be more
specific about what you’re trying to do?

It shouldn’t be a surprise that things don’t work after you have hacked
up the registry…

Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

This driver package consists of one SCSI tape class driver and thirteen minitape drivers (PNP).
The difference between this package and previous ones I’ve developed for earlier Windows systems is that this is my first release-signed 64-bit package.

The reason for deleting my tape class from the registry is that it was put there whilst in test-signing mode and I wanted to ensure that everything installed OK whilst not in test-signing mode.

If this was the wrong thing to do, what do you suggest?

Regards, Richard.

I personally suggest an IPL of a test system for a clean install test,
as that results in a clean install test. You can do one IPL and then
sysprep and then ghost or otherwise archive the image and then quickly
deploy that image for tests that require a clean system.

I think if you search these archives Don Burn provided a set of
procedures for manually cleaning the registry.

Mark Roddy

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:48 PM, wrote:
> This driver package consists of one SCSI tape class driver and thirteen minitape drivers (PNP).
> The difference between this package and previous ones I’ve developed for earlier Windows systems is that this is my first release-signed 64-bit package.
>
> The reason for deleting my tape class from the registry is that it was put there whilst in test-signing mode and I wanted to ensure that everything installed OK whilst not in test-signing mode.
>
> If this was the wrong thing to do, what do you suggest?
>
> Regards, Richard.
>
>
>
> —
>
>
>

Thanks for the feedback.

I’ve found Don Burn’s posting about cleaning up the registry in a thread of messages entitled
“Win 2000 PCI keys Registry Clean up”, although it was written in Sep 2003.

I see he recommends deleting the same registry keys which I have been deleting or trying to delete,
so I feel I’m in good company.

Of course, it doesn’t allow for the tighter security on Vista registry keys, and doesn’t mention deleting files from the FileRepository.

Regards, Richard.