Question on installing sample AC97

Hi list,

I built the sample AC97 in DDK Win2003 SP1, but have trouble installing it. I use control panel/add hardware, then select “Yes, I have already connected the hardware”, then select “Add a new hardware device”, then “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list”, then select “Show All Devices”, then click “Have Disk…”. The system shows me nothing after I point the source folder to where the binary files and inf are.

I read the readme and the infviewer.html, but still couldn’t find out why. Someone told me that I must uninstall the current audio driver in order to see and install the sample. I have my doubt because what if I want to have two drivers for one device and be able to specify which one is the default in control panel.

Can you shed any light on it? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Yong

I’m pretty sure it’s not showing up because the hardware IDS in the INF do not match your existing audio driver. This most likely means you are not using the in-box controllers (Intel ICH0-2, IIRC) in your test system that this driver supports.

The AC97 sample (as of the last time I was involved with it, which is over 18 months ago) INF only has Pnp IDs for these older versions of the Intel IO Controller Hub, and the code only works on those versions.

There is some backward compatibility with the newer ICH versions in current inbox use, but it sometimes requires fiddling with the BIOS settings (the newer models usually default to memory-mapped registers instead of I/O space) to establish this compatibility as well as adding the appropriate Pnp IDs to the INF file. There are also [AFAIK] machines where you simply cannot get this to work without reprogramming the hub (basically doing what the BIOS did on the aforementioned machines) in your driver [I cannot tell you how to do that without getting the chip specs and researching the whole issue- beyond what I can reasonably do for a non-job-related issue, and you could always do the same yourself].

I’d suggest you try the wdm audio newsgroup / list for this question- I don’t remember the URL, but it has been posted in this forum a few times, lately.

I admit I worked with the sample and the in-box audio drivers for about three years, but I usually used a driver which contained code for the newer controllers [that code belonged to Intel and you won’t see it in the WDK], and I had suitable test systems at hand when I needed to work with the sample. I only know about the BIOS stuff from people no longer involved with audio, so I’d suggest your best way to get better help would be to try that list [Of course, I can be happily wrong and you may get an answer here, lots of expertise in this world besides and beyond me, after all].

Just to be certain, though- you are aware that there are many other audio solutions, both in-box and add-on card, which use AC97 codecs, but have different controllers? This driver won’t work with them unless you modify it for the controller hardware you are using. It also won’t work with the newer HdAudio controllers and codecs.

the audio filter is developed by our RD night and day.
I 'm sure that the filter solution should be in the direction of success.