Getting and Using Email on The New Forum

Unlike our previous forum, getting email here on the new forum is pretty simple.

When logged-in to the forum, click on your picture in the upper right corner, and select "profile" (the bottom icon).

When you get to your profile, select "Preferences" and then within your preferences page "Emails"... and choose your settings (see below for what this looks like).

Note that there's even a "Mailing List Mode" that'll send you email of every post on the forum. You can mute topics and/or categories that you're not interested in (for more info on "muting" topics, see this post.

Enjoy!!

1 Like

@Peter_Viscarola_OSR would you consider dropping [%{site_name}] from the default email subject prefix? Currently the email subject line prefixes are so long most of the actual subject gets hidden in my mail agent.

I.e. instead of

[OSR Developer Community] [NTDEV] Virtual audio device disappear when the computer reboot

send:

[NTDEV] Virtual audio device disappear when the computer reboot

This matches what the old software did.

(Of course I'd prefer even better SNR by dropping the [NTDEV] prefix too, but it might be asking too much to get everyone using the List-ID header to sort mail like they're supposed to :slight_smile: )

Thanks for your effort on the new site. Looks like an improvement.

That's an excellent suggestion.

Of course, "it's complicated" ... The subject line is used for stuff that doesn't HAVE an associated category. So, for example, "digest" emails come with the subject line:

[OSR Developer Community] Summary

... because of the subject-line format. Removing the site name would make the subject line for things like the digest pretty annoying.

Soooo... what I propose to do (and what I've done) is I've moved the site name to the END of the subject. So, emails for posts will now have subjects like:

[NTDEV] Virtual audio device disappear when the computer reboot [OSR Developer Community]

...and digests (and anything without a topic) will have the subject:

Summary [OSR Developer Community]

I hope that's an improvement. Let us know what you think.

Thanks, that's certainly an improvement. The only other suggestion I'd have is replace [OSR Developer Community] with [OSR] or similar, but perhaps there are considerations I'm unaware of there too.