Windows Vista Slow Plug and Play on boot

Hi

I have been looking at a slow to boot laptop running procmon boot logging and the plug and play manager seems to be very slow taking about 4 minutes to read ~2.5K registry entries. I have seen this issue on windows vista only and and not on XP / 7. The p&p boot on windows 7 takes about 3 seconds. I am running a 32bit server.

I know the P&P service cannot be disabled but I am wondering what if anything can I do to investigate / speed up the plug and play feature.

Have any of you seen this issue? I have searched msdn/google and found nothing.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

On 22-Dec-2011 19:59, xxxxx@gmail.com wrote:

Hi

I have been looking at a slow to boot laptop running procmon boot logging and the plug and play manager seems to be very slow taking about 4 minutes to read ~2.5K registry entries. I have seen this issue on windows vista only and and not on XP / 7. The p&p boot on windows 7 takes about 3 seconds. I am running a 32bit server.

I know the P&P service cannot be disabled but I am wondering what if anything can I do to investigate / speed up the plug and play feature.

Have any of you seen this issue? I have searched msdn/google and found nothing.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Just upgrade to win7 (or downgrade to XP) and be happy. Who needs Vista
anymore.
– pa

It sounds more like some device driver is taking a very long time to
complete its initialization. The problem is to figure out which one,
and then what, if anything you can do about it. The answer may be: you
can do nothing at all about it.

Mark Roddy

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 12:59 PM, wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been looking at a slow to boot laptop running procmon boot logging and the plug and play manager seems to be very slow taking about 4 minutes to read ~2.5K registry entries. ?I have seen this issue on windows vista only and and not on XP / 7. The p&p boot on windows 7 takes about 3 seconds. I am running a 32bit server.
>
> I know the P&P service cannot be disabled but I am wondering what if anything can I do to investigate / speed up the plug and play feature.
>
> Have any of you seen this issue? ?I have searched msdn/google and found nothing.
>
> Any advice would be great.
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
> —
> NTDEV is sponsored by OSR
>
> For our schedule of WDF, WDM, debugging and other seminars visit:
> http://www.osr.com/seminars
>
> To unsubscribe, visit the List Server section of OSR Online at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=ListServer

Seen this.

When a new device is being installed during boot process, a registry snapshot is being taken. If the ENUM key contains many branches (thousands), this process may take extreme amounts of time. I’ve seen it going up to 20 minutes. If you break into debugger at that time, you’ll see the snapshot function working. I think I’ve seen it in 2008R2.

Hi
Thanks for the reply?s, I agree on the upgrade /down grade idea ? vista ? but unfortunately I don?t get to make big decisions!

@ Alex
Yes, the Enum key is exactly where the time is spent, it traverses the structure contained under this key and like you said it takes a very long time. I?m kinda stumped with this as there seems to be no fix from Microsoft and I don?t think from a mini-filter developer perspective there is much I can do. I probably will contact MS about this but I was wondering if there was any kind of approach I could take before doing so. I assume more people have seen this as it is pretty obvious on boot.

On one of my machines, it takes about 8 minutes but this is a VM. The other machine is a bare metal laptop and it takes about 4 minutes. It?s very bad if it can go up as far as 20!
Anyway, I appreciate the information and the quick response!!

CC

It’s a good idea to contact Microsoft. Even if they won’t provide a fix, they will know that more people are affected by this.

A simple way to clean the registry is to use devcon to delete the unused device instances. In my experience, this helps.

wrote in message news:xxxxx@ntdev…
> It’s a good idea to contact Microsoft. Even if they won’t provide a fix,
> they will know that more people are affected by this.
>
> A simple way to clean the registry is to use devcon to delete the unused
> device instances. In my experience, this helps.
>

But what are these unused instances? what sort of devices? Why installation
occurs during boot (and every boot)?

1. is possible to defer these installations?
2. If the problem is caused by certain stale registry keys… I know it is
heresy, but a minifilter can do registry filtering as well, and hide these
keys?

– pa

> On one of my machines, it takes about 8 minutes but this is a VM. The other machine is a bare metal

laptop and it takes about 4 minutes. It?s very bad if it can go up as far as 20!

Vista by itself has no such issues. For me, the cause is some third-party software, especially some “security” (==slowdown) or antivirus one.

Just plain reinstall the OS and do not install any software titles on it. Will it be still slow on boot? Then install the titles one by one, including the world’s best antivirus of MS Security Essentials (free and does not slow the OS down).

Reinstall is also a good idea due to the possibility of the malware infection.

Generally, if Windows misbehaves, then “reinstall ASAP” is the best cure, since the effort required to troubleshoot such issues (usually caused by the third-party software) is often not so minor.

And yes, Vista is over, being just a not-so-well-cooked Win7.

Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP
xxxxx@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

Maxim:

1. Unfortunately, it seems that Win2008 and R2 has scalability problems in its registry snapshot code. When the snapshot is being taken, the modifications to the hive are blocked by a mutex.
  2. It cannot be mitigated by a filter. If a filter manages to interfere in that process, that may cause snapshot corruption.
  3. It seems to happen on a system without third party security software.

I’ve seen it on a box where a couple of thousand of DISK and corresponding VOLUME instances were present in the registry, because of previous testing runs.

Hi All

Just to give some more information.

I have been testing this on ?out of the box? installations of vista and the read time for this key is about 40 seconds to 1 minute with nothing but the OS. The issue seems to get worse in time but 1 minute for a clean install is excessive.

I have forwarded the issue to Microsoft, I will post what reply I receive.

Thanks Again
CC