Which part is responsible loading NIC driver into system in win2k boot process?

Hi

During win2k boot process many *.sys file have been loaded through bios int13
subroutine. When I add /sos option into boot.ini file I have seen what file bios
int13 load. However I cannot see my NIC driver rtl8139.sys and tcpip.sys.
When do these file been loaded into system?

craig

The files loaded using int13 are the ‘boot start’ drivers, the os image, and the hal. These are loaded by the osloader bootstrap program before the operating systme is started. Subsequently the os itself loads any drivers not loaded by osloader using normal file IO mechanisms.

-----Original Message-----
From: xxxxx@lists.osr.com [mailto:xxxxx@lists.osr.com] On Behalf Of craiglei
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 10:33 PM
To: NT Developers Interest List
Subject: [ntdev] Which part is responsible loading NIC driver into system in win2k boot process?

Hi

subroutine. When I add /sos option into boot.ini file I have seen what file bios

craig

b豆畍礿矃N嫥叉靣笡z千u﹀jy櫒ザ塣j鳔底]?X?&

NIC drivers will get loaded as the each bus enumerates its devices by NDIS. After a NIC miniport driver loads, NDIS will load any protocols, services and clients that are bound to it. If you are having a problem with your driver, could you explain that problem a bit more and how you’re installing your driver? If your device is marked as a problem device in Device Manager or the registry key “INITSTARTFAILED”=dword:00000001 is in your driver’s service entry or in CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Enum is there, the driver will be skipped on subsequent reboots.

Bryan S. Burgin
xxxxx@microsoft.com

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights

Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 3:53 AM
Subject: [ntdev] RE: Which part is responsible loading NIC driver into system in win2k boot process?

The files loaded using int13 are the ‘boot start’ drivers, the os image, and the hal. These are loaded by the osloader bootstrap program before the operating systme is started. Subsequently the os itself loads any drivers not loaded by osloader using normal file IO mechanisms.
From: xxxxx@lists.osr.com [mailto:xxxxx@lists.osr.com] On Behalf Of craiglei
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 10:33 PM
Subject: [ntdev] Which part is responsible loading NIC driver into system in win2k boot process?
Hi

subroutine. When I add /sos option into boot.ini file I have seen what file bios
int13 load. However I cannot see my NIC driver rtl8139.sys and tcpip.sys. 
When do these file been loaded into system?

craig   
b豆畍礿矃N嫥叉靣笡z千u﹀jy櫒ザ塣j鳔底]?X?&

You are currently subscribed to ntdev as: xxxxx@microsoft.com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to xxxxx@lists.osr.com

Only Boot type drivers are loaded by NTLDR. BTW, this is not necessary int 13h - if you have NTBootDd.sys and scsi(%d) names in BOOT.INI, then int 13h will not be used.
I also suspect NTLDR does not use int 13h in XP due to their new Fast Boot features.

Boot drivers are ones necessary to operate the SystemRoot filesystem. Neither NDIS miniports nor TCPIP are such, so, they are System, not Boot drivers, and loaded much later by already initialized kernel using ZwLoadDriver.

Max
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 6:32 AM

Hi

craig
b???v?jƶ?i?d??{.n???zwZnV??隊[h???z{]z?x?yb??(??(