vs2012 & Static Driver Verifier build problem

I’ve been trying to generate a DVL file for a Server 2012 submission with a project that I has previously successfully generated DVL files.

The project builds, but when I try to launch SDV and run the analysis the SDV build fails. It turns out the build is failing when its trying to run rc.exe because the command line given to rc is too long. I’m trying to figure out why the command line given to rc from the SDV build is different from the command line given to it during the normal build, but these new tools have me confounded.

The RC command line from the SDV build is full of a bunch of redundant junk. For example.

rc.exe /D _WIN64 /D _AMD_64=1 /D AMD64 /D WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN=1 /W _WIN32_WINNT=0x0600 /D WINVER=0x0600 /D WINNT=1 /D NTDDI_VERSION=0x06000100 /D “SMP_ID=” /l"0x0409" /Ic:\winddk\win8\include\UM /Ic:\winddk\win8\include\UM /Ic:\winddk\win8\include\UM /IVistaRelease64 /IVistaRelease64 /I /no logo /fo"blah blah blah" blahblah

The redundant includes are killing me with respect to the command line length. When I move my project to a shorter path the include to the “” shrinks enough that I can generate my DVL file, but what I’d really like to do is figure out how to get rid of the redundant directives. I don’t see anything in the project files that refers to SDV specific settings.

Does anyone understand the black magic about how the project settings get transferred to SDV to point me in the right direction here?

xxxxx@gmail.com wrote:

I’ve been trying to generate a DVL file for a Server 2012 submission with a project that I has previously successfully generated DVL files.

The project builds, but when I try to launch SDV and run the analysis the SDV build fails. It turns out the build is failing when its trying to run rc.exe because the command line given to rc is too long.

That’s hard for me to imagine. The maximum command line length is on
the order of 64k bytes. That’s a hell of a lot of redundancy.


Tim Roberts, xxxxx@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Well you’re right Tim. It’s an even sillier bug. I thought it was the length of the path, but it was the actual path itself. The new path contained a ‘-’ in it. When I shortened the path I removed that character and mistakenly concluded that it was the length of the path that was the problem. However the SDV build works, it apparently doesn’t like paths with a ‘-’.