Question on mounting virtual Volume

Hi all,

I have full backup created for particular volume by some driver. This is a

block level driver.

Now suppose i want to mount backed up volume’s data as a new virtual volume

then how should i process with the same?

This action should show me some drive in explorer.

Also what do we mean by mount exactly?
I am unable to understand it properly.
Any link will be good food for learning.

Thanks in anticipation.

>> Also what do we mean by mount exactly?

> I am unable to understand it properly.

Refer http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?id=79 titled “Stand Up and be Recognized - File System Recognizers”

> I have full backup created for particular volume by some driver. This is a block level driver. Now >> suppose i want to mount backed up volume’s data as a new virtual volume then how should i >> process with the same? This action should show me some drive in explorer.

If DriverLetter or mount point is not assigned to the the backedup volume. Assign it.

Which system are you speaking about, in the first place??? Look - under Windows you don’t mount filesystems manually the way it is being done on UNIX systems, and there are no “block-level drivers” either - instead, logical volume and storage device are on different stacks, with the former mounted on the latter . When it comes to file system, it can be mounted either on physical partition (i.e. storage-stack-level device) if disk is removable, or on the logical volume that, in turn, is mounted on a given physical partition if the disk is basic. If drive letter is not assigned, it means that a driver for your target disk just does not handle system requests properly - you don’t assign drive letters manually the way another reply on this thread suggests…

Anton Bassov

Thanks for your reply.

I have .sys file of driver and CLI which basically sends IOCTL to driver.
Now this driver takes whole backup of volume that CLI mention through IOCTL.
Then it sends some IOCTL to mount volume that we backed up previously. This action basically mount contents of the backed up volume to RAM disk and shows some drive letter in explorer.

Now as a curiosity i want to understand how this can be done?
This action set would be good learning assignment for me.

Thanks in anticipation.

> Now as a curiosity i want to understand how this can be done?

This is not that easy - as I can see, the target driver properly emulates the virtual storage device, and it requires quite a bit of work…

By sending an IOCTL this driver, apparently, reports device arrival to PnP the way toaster sample does, so that system builds the whole storage stack on the reported device. In order to reach the level when drive letter turns up in Explorer, the driver has to handle all requests that the system sends to storage devices, effectively making it believe that there is a physical storage device around…

This is how it does things if it emulates IDE disk. If it emulates SCSI one, probably it registers SCSI miniport driver, so that storport does all the tough part of interfacing a disk to the system. To be honest, I am not familiar with SCSI miniport architecture, so that I cannot really tell you more precise details…

Anton Bassov

Anton, Thanks a lot.

I would really like to appreciate the way you guys responded to this thread. That’s the reason people find more interest in this forum.

Well i will go through this issue deeply and try to understand it and then may ask if any question raises.

Thanks a lot again.